PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I like softly bits, but when I clench I am more letting my bottom teeth be a fulcrum and top teeth lock the pipe in place vs. using the teeth to bite down. So the softy bit gives a dampening effect on the stem as I walk/drive around, plus gives a larger purchase/gripping area to work with.
I could live without, but I see more positives than negatives with them.
I am actually surprised that given their popularity we don't see carvers working to integrate them into the stem's design. i.e. smaller bit and button so when a softie is put on it brings that area of the pipe back up to the standard size and sits flush.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have a package of the softies somewhere but just never got around to using them. I thought I would try them on my acrylic stems but they are already thicker than my Vulcanite stemmed pipes.
The MOST comfortable stems made, for my tastes, are the fifty cent plastic stems that come with Missouri Meerschaum pipes. Sure, they don't last long if you're a clencher but they're cheap to replace and soft to the bite.
I still buy the Forever stems for my most regularly used cobs, Freehands and Generals.
I like Vulcanite on my briars for comfort and durability but I like acrylic for style and ease of maintenance. After 30 plus years of pipe smoking (off and on), I still haven't decided which I prefer and it hasn't made a difference in a purchasing decision.
Pax

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I am actually surprised that given their popularity we don't see carvers working to integrate them into the stem's design. i.e. smaller bit and button so when a softie is put on it brings that area of the pipe back up to the standard size and sits flush.
This is a really interesting thought beasthkh, maybe eventually they will.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If you trim the fat edge off the end of the softy, it isn't so bad. I use them on all my grandfathers pipes to preserve them, and a few of my heavy clenchers as well.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I used to use them quite a bit - in fact, a lot of my pipes still have them on. But as time progresses I've realized that I'm not the clenched I assumed I would be. Nothing against clenching at all - I just prefer to hold the pipe and sip. I will clench when needed, but I don't do it as much as I figured I would. I will still use them on my 'work' pipes (when I'm doing yard work, moving around, etc) but I don't plan on purchasing any more.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
There is a birthyear Dunhill in my collection that is about the only pipe that gets it. Other wise I'm done with them. The stems are made to be enjoyed not to be covered by a hunk of rubber IMO.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Those things are nasty. I will never go there. It isn't like estate pipes are going to change drastically in value from one or two little bite marks anyway.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I gave them a shot a while back and the comfort level killed the experience. I have some pipes I clench, my lower end pipes and golf pipes. My higher end pipes I rarely clench, although occasionally very carefully. I know some people, who have the funds and time, have a stem made for each new pipe they buy, and keep the original one unused for when they sell it.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Some of my heavier pipes I prefer to use tubing about an inch long. There's just to much thickness with the softy rubber and to squishy a feel for my taste.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I use them on all my pipes. Yes, the first few bowls have a "rubber" taste, but after that I can't taste anything except the tobacco I'm smoking. Easier on my teeth and I'm used to them. If I didn't have them on the pipe would feel "different."

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I use them on some of my pipes, usually one with larger buttons to make the transition more comfortable. I also cut off the wide end before using.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
First and foremost, I never judge what someone else wants to do with their things. That said, I think they are absolutely ugly as all get out. The look of a beautiful pipe with a softy bit on it makes me quite sad. Of course if I am buying an estate, I don't at all mind a lack of teeth marks. :wink: :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.