PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Nope....what you buy is what you get! Once the tobacco has been cased its in the tobacco until it fades with time. You can cut it with a straight Burley to lessen the casing flavor or try to overpower it with an even stronger flavored blend, your results may vary.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yeah I think the answer to that is no. Two thoughts:
1. If you let it get quite dry, you may find less of the flavor presents.

2. If you let it age- probably a few years, I do think the casings fade

3. As already suggested, you could "cut" it with some plain burley, or whatever the base components of the blend are. Carter Hall is often seen as a good one to mix in.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, tarak. I don't like burley, so that's not going to happen. I'll try some Perique, maybe some Latakia in different bowls. I've only got less than 2 oz, so trading that alone would not seem worthwhile.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What's the blend? Letting a blend/flake dry out will take much of the flavor/aroma away. It's easy enough to rehydrate. I like Peterson Perfect Plug, but after having the tin open for a while, the casing/topping has nearly dissipated.
I don't think you'll have much luck if it's an aromatic, though.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
If not burley, consider a Virginia, something like McClelland 5100 or another straight V that may even it out a bit. Perique would of course add a new note, so would latakia, but if you're trying to get away from the casing, rather than just adding more notes to the chord, you might need to "dilute" it.
Sort of like too much salt in a soup....you're not going to escape it without expanding the volume. Sounds like you're trying to make the best with what you got. Heck, maybe you're about to discover the next great blend once you throw a little perique in there :puffy:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Casing is an integral part of the basic preparation of tobacco and, with most blenders, adds very little taste to the tobacco. It's more likely that what you find objectionable is the topping, one of the final steps in the preparation of a blend.
As far as removing it, I don't know of a good process to recommend. It's far easier to add something to a mixture than it is to remove it. Probably the best that you can hope for is to dilute the topping by adding another component to it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, all. And I used the wrong term! It must be the topping I am not liking. (I got the notion from a review.)

And the blend in question is Prairie Wind.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Prairie Wind is a 4noggins blend, why not go straight to the blender for an answer? Rich is a great guy and loves to talk about pipes and tobacco. You can contact him through the website (he's a forum sponsor, the link is on the left side of the page on red) or you can put Prairie Wind in the title of a thread, he's a member here and might pick up on it.
Either way, he should be able to answer any questions and steer you towards the best solution. Prairie Wind is a non-aromatic tobacco so the taste you're trying to get away from is probably one of the Virginia components, not from a topping. Rich can help you find out which one it is and find a blend that better suits your taste. Good luck, the search for the ideal blend can be frustrating, but it can also be rewarding.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Oh it's Prairie Wind? Well that changes things. Likely, you're not enjoying one of the tobaccos. Can you describe the flavor you don't like in any way?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
If I was truly going to try I would take an ounce and boil it in water. Thoroughly dry it. May remove all the flavor altogether but hey its worth a try. Trash is trash.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If I recall correctly, the top note / tin smell was a mild chocolate like the one in Prince Albert.
The addition of some Latakia might be very interesting ... let us know how it works out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I was truly going to try I would take an ounce and boil it in water. Thoroughly dry it. May remove all the flavor altogether but hey its worth a try. Trash is trash.
I presume you're joking, but that's not far from my thought of soaking it in H20 and then drying. If anyone has done this with decent results, please do tell!

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Why buy a tobacco if you want to do this? Just smoke something else until you find a better tobacco.

If you boil the tobacco, you are essentially making a tea out of it that will remove ALL flavorings and :::shudders::: nicotine. If you wanted, you could steam it in a colander with cheese cloth over a pot of boiling water, but... I love Prairie Wind, but it did take me some time to warm up to it. I don't get an overwhelming topping from it. I think some of the flavoring is maybe an oriental or a light casing, IMO, as in PS LTF. But, not everyone likes the same thing, so YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.