PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm often puffing away in a shortened falcon when fishing for giant pike up north here. Nice small bowls and very light for clenching. It's around the campfire at nights I pull out a larger pipe for contemplation and inner reflection...... oh, and rum drinking too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay-

Be sure to wear safety glasses and protective gloves whilst carrying out the test, I know what you Americans are like when it comes to law suits

Good advice, but who, or whom, would I sue? I have a few suits, off the rack, from Harvey and Hudson on Jermyn St. No law suits to date, either as defendant or plaintiff.

There must be a bunches of fumbling oafs in this hobby. Why would you drop a pipe while fishing? Do you tend to drop your pipe a lot? I don't, never ever. I can smoke while in the hot tub, fishing, watering the garden, walking down the road, driving, showering, walking a tight rope (well... I've not tried this one). What makes being around water make perfectly sensible men more afraid of dropping their pipes? Is it from never having ever played a sport? Dropping things is just not tolerated, and even if I was a bumble fingers with sausage finger that can't keep a hold of the pipe, or have weak jaws that can't keep a grip, I wouldn't admit it.
A few things to keep to yourself...

"I can't keep my balance walking when the wind blows."

"The darn pipe is too heavy for my weak neck muscles, so I don't clench my pipes."

"I don't play golf because it takes me half an hour to balance that huge white ball on that tiny tee."

"I don't do sex, because I get winded after a few seconds. And, it requires too much coordination."

"I don't smoke in the bathtub, because I get excited and my jaw drops, making my pipe fall."

"I always get picked last when we divide up into teams."

And, "I drop my pipe when around water, because water is scary to me."
Besides that, after years of setting in a B&M chatting with smokers, they all have heard of someone who knows someone, who has ruined a pipe by getting wet. And, even on here, we have pipemakers who will attest that getting a pipe wet... does no damage to it. I've left them on the porch during a storm, had my wife wash them in the sink with the dishes, intentionally soaked them, and never, ever, ever, has anything gone wrong. The finish is always fine, and nothing swelled up, nothing broke, and I still smoke them.

So why? Why? Why Is this crap kept being regurgitated over and over?

I'm going to go soak my Becker is some ice water, because I'm not scared at all, and I have nothing better to do. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
Fast moving water can make the pipe go away much faster than you could attempt to reach down and grab it.
Nothing wrong with being careful, even if it sometimes borders on paranoia ;)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
" Why Is this crap kept being regurgitated over and over?"
Well said Cosmic, there are so many pipe myths that appear on this forum with scary regularity, one has to question some folk's logic.
BTW I can juggle my eyeballs from one socket to another whilst threading a needle and still not drop my pipe!
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As to fishing, I've not dropped a pipe, but did snap a tenon last time out as I forgot it was in my vest pocket. The one in my jeans was fine.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"As to fishing, I've not dropped a pipe, but did snap a tenon last time out as I forgot it was in my vest pocket."
John, I have got just the right pipe for you...a folding vest pocket pipe @ £10 :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Wow, when I made the original post I never imagined how entertaining the replies would we or how far off topic it would go. Thank you all so much for being who you are. :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.