PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"Is that a "dark tobacco" strain/cultivar or is that a white burley that is for some reason dark"
There is no "dark tobacco" cultivar of tobacco, neither is there a "White Burley" cultivar. It's just marketing.

Hmmm... I grew two rows of Dark Virginias, so in other genres, there may be dark varieties.
And, while there may not be a seed labelled White Burley, I have seen many a basket of white burley leaf. Like in buying blends with names that have nothing to do with what is inside the tin, the names of seeds sometimes have little to do with how the harvested crop is auctioned.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I'm not talking names of seeds but rather cultivars. There's no such plant as a White Burley. All Burley, if left long enough on the stalk will turn a pale yellow/white color.
A lot of the confusion stems from what Cosmic already noted, the names of pipe blends do not always reflect the tobacco that is actually in them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Maybe there's some crosstalk about varieties vs. cultivars, but they're not all the same.
nsrguTl.png

aajOyP3.png

Reactions: woodsroad

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, leaving out names of blends, it seems off key that a cultivar could/should be named with a process in its name ("fired").
Dark Virginias, yes: Is, or could be a cultivar.

Dark Fired Virginias- a process added to Virginias. Suppose the leaf could be light or dark before the curing.

Dark fired Kentucky- Not a cultivar, but burley that's fired in a certain way.
I am just trying to get this straight in my mind!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, quite so, started wondering if that could be the case. Where I live, plum trees with the variety that's dried to make prunes, are called.....

Prune trees! I still have to explain that to visitors when I point out the "prune orchards".

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dark fired Kentucky- Not a cultivar, but burley that's fired in a certain way.
Well, the same cultivar/variety/seed can be grown for being fire cured OR air cured. As far as I know, farmers don't refer to the seed/plant as "dark fired" or "dark air cured."
Ha ha -- prune trees!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It doesn't help when farmers refer to the plant that they use to make Dark Fired as...Dark Fired.
Wait, the "plant" or the "tobacco"? (Crazy farmers with their "prune trees" and whatnot.)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Dark Fired KY seems to be the trendy thing in new blends. It lends an earthiness that I used to distinguish Gawith Hoggarths from SammyG's. I am starting to think that DkFKY makes for poor DGT.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.