PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
So my local tobacco shop is cutting back (a lot) on pipe tobacco to focus on cigars and cigarettes. One if the blends they cut was "Dark English". In the four years I have shopped there I never got them to tell me who made it. So... I need some help. This blend is one of my favorites. Anyone able to name a few blends that this could be? I know I am asking a lot and I wish I had more to go on here. But, all I know is the shop had it labeled Dark English. Any guesses?

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I would be willing to bet it was McClelland 5110. If you can try describing the blend, that would help us more than the name, which could be generic. Also, what are the names of some of their other blends. Did they offer "Red Cake"? Give us the names of some of their other blends, because if they weren't renaming those, it's a good chance they weren't renaming "Dark English" which would be 5110.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
I would suspect 5110 as well. If they are getting out of the pipe tobacco biz, it indicates (to me) that they probably didn't have much imagination in renaming their bulk blends. :wink:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
In 4 yrs.... If you didn't get them to cough up the goods then you failed in a major way. I'm shy in nature (in person) but I still intend to make my B&M tell me what's up with their house blends. I'll prolly make up some bullshit, "hey I'm allergic to something that McClelland puts in their blends and some other tobacco blenders, my face swells up (refference to Cyndi :) thanks girl) and I need to know whats what."
I probably won't do that...... sober.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I would also guess McC 5110. It's quite a good smoke and very dark in color. McClelland tobaccos are also widely distributed in this country.
Smokey

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Drew, if they are discontinuing it, they should tell you what it is. They may also give you a bulk sale price on their remaining inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.