PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Thx, I’ve blown my extra TAD money for a minute, but I’ve eyeballed Esterval’s before.
I wonder if Mallard Flake with Perique is the same relabeled for US?
It might be similar, although there is a straight Virginia Mallard as well. I have just enjoyed a bowl of DTM Kriswill Navy Cut blue. Also a VaPer and very nice. More bready than St B with less Perique, but an awesome blend. I think it compares well to Solani 633.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
StBernard's Flake is the first tobacco I bought a kilo of, it's great. However bear in mind after 2-4 years in the jar the flavour profile became quite muted in my experience, I personally prefer it fresh out the box.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Enjoying a pipe full now. To me St Bernard is everything Orlik Golden Slices should have been. Its soft, sweet but interesting. I found Olik rather dull. It SB the perique comes forward at times but the Virgina is solid with a natural sweetness.

Ive recently also been taken wth Marlin Flake. I think tomorrow I will mix St Bernard and Marlin.

I bought some Wallace flake but there is too much Burly for my liking. A bit dark. It may play well mixed with SB.

Not being in the US means my cellar is a bit limited. I learn to mix in order to have added variety.

I got 250 grams of SB. I may get another but the above post makes me want to think twice about getting too much.
I dont have experience with aged St Bernard but I do know it is nice and smooth right from the tin.

Reactions: Valliantpiper

Valliantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Maryland
Enjoying a pipe full now. To me St Bernard is everything Orlik Golden Slices should have been. Its soft, sweet but interesting. I found Olik rather dull. It SB the perique comes forward at times but the Virgina is solid with a natural sweetness.

Ive recently also been taken wth Marlin Flake. I think tomorrow I will mix St Bernard and Marlin.

I bought some Wallace flake but there is too much Burly for my liking. A bit dark. It may play well mixed with SB.

Not being in the US means my cellar is a bit limited. I learn to mix in order to have added variety.

I got 250 grams of SB. I may get another but the above post makes me want to think twice about getting too much.
I dont have experience with aged St Bernard but I do know it is nice and smooth right from the tin.
It is one of my new favorites. I agree it is great straight out of the tin and is very smooth similar to what you find in aged tobaccos.

Reactions: Leomania

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Perhaps this can help some members: I have a lot of StBernard’s Flake (see earlier post above), I found that after a year or more in the jar it becomes very sweet and not in a great way. Becomes muted, loses a lot of nuance in my experience, loses zing. By comparison, in the same timeframe StJames Flake also becomes sweeter but seems to hold the Perique spice better. Pain in the ass tobacco that it is, StJames Flake may be the best VaPer for me.

Edit: I see I’d already posted the change over time! Well at least I am consistent!