PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
So what attracts you to buying a tobacco that you've never tried before ? In my case I look for a flavour profile that I know works for me. A VaPer usualy floats my boat more than other genres so that's a good place to start presumably. I have been disappointed in the past however, but this time it has been the exact opposite and my expectations were not only met, but exceeded. Estervals had a bit of a mad sale on so I bought 250gms of this as a treat not knowing quite if I'd like it. I need not have worried since on opening the vacuum sealed mylar baggie, I was met by a gorgeous aroma of sweet Virginias (mainly reds) and a wonderful feast of fruity goodness from the very generous helping of Perique. Plums raisins saltanas figs and a sort of malty melange of the very best that perique has to offer. Presentation is a bunch of long flakes loosely held together in such a way that you end up with a jar of broken flake that exudes quality. After a couple of days exposure to the air it has really awoken and now smells like an alcoholic malt loaf with a sherry cask aroma added for good measure. For the review I used my usual rubbed out method and allowed half an hour drying time as is a tad moist and benefits from this. It lit without too much fuss after a couple of false lights and immediately it was obvious that the blend is on the fruity/bready end of the spectrum with a molasses and brown sugar sweetness and a hint of black pepper going on, but very subtly. The smoke lasted for over an hour with various interplays between the flavours, but largely getting sweeter and deeper with adaquate strength for those who like a fuller blend with a fair ammount of nicotine but not so as to overwhelm. It maintained its good nature to the end and with a couple of relights along the way, didn't overheat or get harsh or threaten to bite. The room note is that of a proper VaPer tobacco which I find pleasant. After taste and beard note are also good. This has all the qualities that I look for in a blend and (for me) no weak points. My usual choice of VaPer is Deluxe Navy Rolls or Solani 633, and this is as.good if not better and a mere fraction of the cost. Well done Dan Tobacco. I will make an effort to cellar this one as age will make what is a stellar smoke even more remarkable.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
So what attracts you to buying a tobacco that you've never tried before ? In my case I look for a flavour profile that I know works for me. A VaPer usualy floats my boat more than other genres so that's a good place to start presumably. I have been disappointed in the past however, but this time it has been the exact opposite and my expectations were not only met, but exceeded. Estervals had a bit of a mad sale on so I bought 250gms of this as a treat not knowing quite if I'd like it. I need not have worried since on opening the vacuum sealed mylar baggie, I was met by a gorgeous aroma of sweet Virginias (mainly reds) and a wonderful feast of fruity goodness from the very generous helping of Perique. Plums raisins saltanas figs and a sort of malty melange of the very best that perique has to offer. Presentation is a bunch of long flakes loosely held together in such a way that you end up with a jar of broken flake that exudes quality. After a couple of days exposure to the air it has really awoken and now smells like an alcoholic malt loaf with a sherry cask aroma added for good measure. For the review I used my usual rubbed out method and allowed half an hour drying time as is a tad moist and benefits from this. It lit without too much fuss after a couple of false lights and immediately it was obvious that the blend is on the fruity/bready end of the spectrum with a molasses and brown sugar sweetness and a hint of black pepper going on, but very subtly. The smoke lasted for over an hour with various interplays between the flavours, but largely getting sweeter and deeper with adaquate strength for those who like a fuller blend with a fair ammount of nicotine but not so as to overwhelm. It maintained its good nature to the end and with a couple of relights along the way, didn't overheat or get harsh or threaten to bite. The room note is that of a proper VaPer tobacco which I find pleasant. After taste and beard note are also good. This has all the qualities that I look for in a blend and (for me) no weak points. My usual choice of VaPer is Deluxe Navy Rolls or Solani 633, and this is as.good if not better and a mere fraction of the cost. Well done Dan Tobacco. I will make an effort to cellar this one as age will make what is a stellar smoke even more remarkable.

Terrific review of one of my all time favorites. I completely agree across the board.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
I‘ll be very interested in your opinion on this one, I’ve thought about giving it a try several times but never added any to an order.
Hi. I like it very much. It is more ready to smoke out of the Jar than St Bernard and needs very little dry time. Flavour profile is like Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls or Solani 633, but maybe more fruit and bready notes.
My review is on this site and Tobaccoreviews.com

Best wishes
John.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Hi. I like it very much. It is more ready to smoke out of the Jar than St Bernard and needs very little dry time. Flavour profile is like Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls or Solani 633, but maybe more fruit and bready notes.
My review is on this site and Tobaccoreviews.com

Best wishes
John.

Thanks for the heads up, I actually included a tin in a recent Esterval order (mostly another 3lb of St Bernard). Your review rings true to me but I just didn’t care for the Kriswill- too much bright VA and not enough perique for my tastes. I can certainly see the appeal- it’s smooth, consistent down the bowl, and if you like those bright grassy notes it’s got them in spades. But it’s just not for me.

Reactions: Scottmi and seanv

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I enjoy St Bernard quite a bit, ordered more from Esterval’s with this sale. It does need some dry time, but it’s a very good, almost bold, solid blend with no nonsense that can be an anytime smoke for me. The flavor about halfway through the bowl is always my favorite part with this one.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Thanks for the heads up, I actually included a tin in a recent Esterval order (mostly another 3lb of St Bernard). Your review rings true to me but I just didn’t care for the Kriswill- too much bright VA and not enough perique for my tastes. I can certainly see the appeal- it’s smooth, consistent down the bowl, and if you like those bright grassy notes it’s got them in spades. But it’s just not for me.
I can see why you would think that. I guess Kriswill is a Navy Flake that just happens to have Perique as a condiment. It is a cool burning blend that I happen to like more than Capstan. It sure has the Grassy and Bready notes in abundance.

Reactions: tfdickson and seanv

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Im with ya John. Being in Europe Dan Pipe is a standard. St. Bernard Flake is a great smoke and one of my standards.

Given the name I was guessing it was close to St James flake...Its been years since I had any. Are they similiar?

thanks for the review!

This is nicer to my palate. St James is more difficult to handle mechanically and although many swear by it, I can take it or leave it. St James is more peppery amd less stone fruit and I much prefer the fruity bready VaPers.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive seen your list of tobaccos John. I think we are in agreement. I like the dark fruity undertones as well. Have you broke out the Salty Dogs yet?

I do remember St James being a rather thick flake but its been a long time since I had any. Im pretty happy with St Bernard.

I havent noticed if lat but I say you got some Castle Blend #2. Its great with a pinch of blending lat or just an addition of some EMP. Just enough lat to peek in and out on occasion.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Ive seen your list of tobaccos John. I think we are in agreement. I like the dark fruity undertones as well. Have you broke out the Salty Dogs yet?

I do remember St James being a rather thick flake but its been a long time since I had any. Im pretty happy with St Bernard.

I havent noticed if lat but I say you got some Castle Blend #2. Its great with a pinch of blending lat or just an addition of some EMP. Just enough lat to peek in and out on occasion.
Hi Sigmund. I confess I'm not a Latakia lover. I don't mind Kentucky in a blend, but as you observe, VaPer blends are my thing. Salty Dogs is a lovely blend. I think it is best suited to occasional treats and I will order more when I am able to.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It doesn't seem to be carried in the US. It is crazy cheap at Eatervals in Germany though, so that would offset any carriage charges.
Thx, I’ve blown my extra TAD money for a minute, but I’ve eyeballed Esterval’s before.
I wonder if Mallard Flake with Perique is the same relabeled for US?