PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are very few pipe makers other than the Turkish meerschaum industry using custom pipe cases these days.

My old ones have a wooden shell which are leather-covered (calf, kid or even crocodile) then lined with velvet or satin.
Sadly that craft seems to have fallen by the wayside by and large.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How are custom pipe cases made/fabricated?
Basically, they aren't being fabricated. It's a remote possibility that one can send a pipe to one of the meerschaum houses in Turkey and have a case made. There are a couple of artisan carvers who will custom make a case for one of their own pipes, but won't make them to order. Other than that you can find mass produced hinged cases in a variety of sizes and use that.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
There are very few pipe makers other than the Turkish meerschaum industry using custom pipe cases these days.

My old ones have a wooden shell which are leather-covered (calf, kid or even crocodile) then lined with velvet or satin.
Sadly that craft seems to have fallen by the wayside by and large.
So the cases are actually carved wood? I havent been brave enough to peel back the "leather" coverings.

Basically, they aren't being fabricated. It's a remote possibility that one can send a pipe to one of the meerschaum houses in Turkey and have a case made. There are a couple of artisan carvers who will custom make a case for one of their own pipes, but won't make them to order. Other than that you can find mass produced hinged cases in a variety of sizes and use that.
Too bad that the custom cases have fallen out of favor.

Wouldn't a Pelican case with foam much easier? Not exactly a violin case, but foams are easier to fit.
No doubt, and more durable. But custom cases are just cool

I looked into making those custom fit cases when I heard that the small hinges no longer being made was the reason. I mean, I can make, fabricate, and reproduce anything out of any metal. So, i watched a few videos of Walt Cannoy making some for his meerschaums. Hardware wasn't the problem, but the time it takes to fit the leather and such. I guess that in Turkey the labor to make them must be slave wages, because it's crazy to spend that kind of time making them for what you can get out of them. They should be worth about as much as the pipes, IMO. There's no way I would make a custom fitted case for less than a hundred or so.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I looked into making those custom fit cases when I heard that the small hinges no longer being made was the reason. I mean, I can make, fabricate, and reproduce anything out of any metal. So, i watched a few videos of Walt Cannoy making some for his meerschaums. Hardware wasn't the problem, but the time it takes to fit the leather and such. I guess that in Turkey the labor to make them must be slave wages, because it's crazy to spend that kind of time making them for what you can get out of them. They should be worth about as much as the pipes, IMO. There's no way I would make a custom fitted case for less than a hundred or so.
I agree. With Astas meerschaum, my commissioned pieces didn't "come" with a case. But I always ask for one, and he obliges, at no cost. Which shocked me.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Absolutely. And I emphasise that last point.

Just the cost of materials alone would put the cost halfway there. Plus the labour... hard to do in a time when most people want everything for free.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thanks for asking this question! I’ve been curious about this too and have thought about learning how to do it in order to make custom cases for my own pipes.

Reactions: Browny

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I get them made in Turkey. Years ago Shervingtons in London would refit the cases. Today when my case gets messed up I lend the pipe to the Turkish carvers and they send it back with a super new case. Ramazan from Meerschaum Depot will do them if you tell him I sent you! :)
Thanks!