PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hey all. I just picked up an Alco pipe on ebay (Alco were a type of sub-company by Falcon, but I'm sure most of you already knew that).
My pipe has a lining in the bowl, which looks to me to be like plastic (impossible I know), it's about just under 2mm thick I'd say and seems to serve the same kind of purpose as a meerschaum lining...
It's not meerschaum... is it?
Thanks.

The inside of the chamber is a separate material from the briar though
That's how it works. As you smoke it, the heat, oils, and ash of the tobacco forms a hard plastic-like layer that coats the briar. Some like it thin, some just let it build up till it fills most of the bowl. That cake looks like the original owner didn't like to smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: diamondback

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019

I have highlighted the area. This part of the pipe has been designed and made with a different material than the briar part of the bowl. I don't mean the cake lining the chamber walls, but the material that is within briar that actually makes the chamber wall.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Yeah I was wondering if that might have been it. Hey well, I'm sure it's not plastic whatever it is... Needs a clean. Just got it in the post this morning.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
My favorite pipe company to collect is Hilson, but a lot of their pipes have these linings. So, I have been avoiding those, because I have no idea how to clean them. Maybe someone will chime in with how they do it.
Would be interested to hear myself tbh. I've got a Denicotea meerschaum lined and am waiting on a Jean Lamy one as well.
Sounds like the makings of a new thread.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 12118

I have highlighted the area. This part of the pipe has been designed and made with a different material than the briar part of the bowl. I don't mean the cake lining the chamber walls, but the material that is within briar that actually makes the chamber wall.
The reflection was throwing me off, thought the rim was briar. That definitely looks like scorched meerschaum.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Thanks guys for helping me clear that up. I'm glad it is meerschaum lined, as the Alco line of pipes are not compatible with the Falcon ones. I have seen a site that still sells Alco bowls, although they did not have any meerschaum lined options available, just briar only.
Only thing to do now is give it a good reaming and cleaning.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
just don't use alcohol on the meerschaum.
clean it with cool filtered water.

Gotcha! Thank you. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while now, though with the FDA preparing to strike it’s been at the bottom of my list. Different thread!

Glad the mystery is resolved, Seeker81! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought cake-building wasn't appropriate in Meerschaum. Have I been misinformed? Or is it optional as with briar?

Status
Not open for further replies.