Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
If I had to smoke an aromatic, it would be that one.
Really? Hmm…

I smoke mostly English Lately, I’ve had a taste for Virginias. I did recently snag a couple ounces of Bosun Cut Plug. But I rarely smoke aromatics.

What is it about this one that makes you say you’d smoke it? Just curious. Bc I could the smell the stuff through the SEALED tin. And what I smelled when I opened it almost knocked me over.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
This is the only cherry tobacco that doesn’t nuke my tongue. The flavor doesn’t completely overwhelm the tobacco flavor…in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t the first tin I’d reach for. It’s just the only aro that doesn’t make me instantly regret smoking it.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Pops got me this for a Xmas gift. Guess he doesn’t want me to have any friends. Plus, everything about this tin scares me. Inside and out View attachment 116835
I know, it looks like you'll sprout a forked tail and hooves just by sniffing the tin note, but once you get past the quasi-satanic imagery (I'm glad I eventually did), it's a decent cherry aromatic, not too overpowering. Whereas something like Captain Black Cherry or CAO Cherrybomb is like being mercilessly beaten over the head with a cherry stick. This isn't like that, but still, you can expect a respectable dose of PG (par for the course with these blends though). It's one of three blends of this ilk that I have, the others being Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry and a Russ Ouelette blend for P&C called Nation's Capital.

dctune

I know, it looks like you'll sprout a forked tail and hooves just by sniffing the tin note, but once you get past the quasi-satanic imagery (I'm glad I eventually did), it's a decent cherry aromatic, not too overpowering. Whereas something like Captain Black Cherry or CAO Cherrybomb is like being mercilessly beaten over the head with a cherry stick. This isn't like that, but still, you can expect a respectable dose of PG (par for the course with these blends though). It's one of three blends of this ilk that I have, the others being Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry and a Russ Ouelette blend for P&C called Nation's Capital.
I’ve actually never smoked a cherry blend. But, believe it or not, I can distinctly remember the smell of old timers smoking cherry in the mall when I was a kid in the early-mid 80s. Man I miss those days.

Guess I’ll be enjoying the maiden voyage tonight.

dctune

This is the only cherry tobacco that doesn’t nuke my tongue. The flavor doesn’t completely overwhelm the tobacco flavor…in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t the first tin I’d reach for. It’s just the only aro that doesn’t make me instantly regret smoking it.
I’ve heard cherries can bite really bad. Hope not tonight.

Reactions: Servant King

dctune

Best tinned aromatic available, and if it weren't for aromatic sells, pipe smoking wouldn't be around anymore.
Oh I def agree. I was in Schwab’s chatting with Eric a few weeks ago. He said guys come in there all the time all snooty, saying stuff like “You’re not a real pipe smoker if you smoke aros.”

Eric said, “Yeah, that’s why we’ve been in business almost 50 years and only ever have 3 Englishes on the bar out of 30 blends.”

10 years ago, I almost exclusively smoked aros. I remember a time when I was absolutely repulsed by the smell of Latakia. Lol.

If it’s a good tobacco, I’ll smoke it. I think all kinds of blends taste great. And tbh, lately, my tastes have been starting to shift away from English a bit anyway.

I tend to cycle in my preferences a bit. I go all in on something for a while. Then get bored. And I’m like this with almost everything in life. Not just tobacco.

Back in the summer I was loving a Country Squire VaPer aromatic called Old Toby. Big time recommend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know, it looks like you'll sprout a forked tail and hooves just by sniffing the tin note, but once you get past the quasi-satanic imagery (I'm glad I eventually did),
I have a strange feeling it's the quasi part that bothered you.
There are some great aros out there. Ones which compliment the tobacco. Aros are kind of like mixed drinks and range about as far and wide as rum and coke compared to a Martini or Manhattan and all the in betweens like a gin and tonic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Servant King
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I heard it was being discontinued. Anyone know if there is truth to that rumor?
Hopefully not. That'd be a very unwise decision on their part, not to mention a bevy of pissed off pipesmokers who love the blend immensely.
I think I read that Cult was going through the process to have this blend survive the forthcoming hammer; unlike the rest of their bar, which is getting 86'd.

My source was this forum, but I don't remember the thread or topic. Then again, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

dctune

Sipping this now. This is a very smooth smoke. Honestly, not at all what I expected from the tin note. Zero bite. Seriously. None. Not overwhelmingly sweet. In fact, seems like most of the sweetness I’m getting is a buttery, almost caramel flavor. Assuming this is the cavendish. Sweet Virginias are evident too. Perhaps with a sugar casing? There might be the slightest hint of spice in there. But very, very faint. I don’t really taste the cherry as much as “experience” it in the aroma and retrohale. Aftertaste is just right. I’m quite surprised and impressed with this blend. “Cherry” on top: wife said the house smells great!

Might have to start digging into some other cherry blends now.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Blood Red Moon is the first tobacco I ever bought. Wasn’t crazy about it at the time, but it’s a quality aromatic that I enjoy quite a bit now. Cherry aro’s are the only ones I smoke (I’m an English guy, have to force myself to smoke anything else).

In my opinion, the best cherry aromatic is Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Cream Flake, but good luck finding it. The other two that I find quite good are Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry (much easier to find), and HU Jerry Saronno.

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
I think I read that Cult was going through the process to have this blend survive the forthcoming hammer; unlike the rest of their bar, which is getting 86'd.

My source was this forum, but I don't remember the thread or topic. Then again, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Hope this is not true. I really enjoy Cult’s Conspiracy Theory. It’s by I don’t know what I want to smoke default blend.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy