PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hey guys. I have been smoking Cult Blood Moon, a new aro offered at pipesandcigars.com. I have to say after several bowls now its actually a pretty good aro. Light cherry note, a little bittersweet (chocolate note). One down fall is it does burn a little hot so be wary of the tongue bite. I dried mine for about 30 minutes on a napkin. Smoked it in my MM KOLONEL, she holds alot of tobaccy.
Anyone else give this a shot yet? I know its hit or miss with cherry blends, but this isnt that bad.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've tried a number of cherry blends, including Blood Moon. It really was too much cherry for me. I've settled on two that I like enough to smoke once in a while. PS Cherry Bon Bon, which sounds kinda icky, but the cherry is in the background with this for me, and it has a little chocolate coming through too. G&H Top Black Cherry is probably my favorite, very high quality tobacco with a restrained cherry flavor. But, as with most tobaccos, everyones taste differs, and opinions vary. :roll:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Put some up in your cellar for about 6-12 months. It is amazing what it does for many aromatics, in my opinion. I think the juice gets time to soften as it melds with the leaf. I liked Cult Blood Red Moon and ordered a number of tins when they had it on sale last year. It is presently sleeping in the nursery, waiting for this fall. :puffy:
For me it was one of the better cherry tobaccos. That said, as with all tobacco some will love it, some will hate it, and some wont give a fig about it one way or the other.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my aromatics tobacco flavor forward, so I stick with Newminster's cherry blend, for a cherry aro. The cherry's there, but minds its manners. Thank you for the good report; many like a good cherry jolt, and this might please them.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Okie, after your post I'll have to try it again. I bought some to smoke while viewing the blood red moon phase with my telescope last year. I thought it so-so. I wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I jarred it up and I think it has about a year on right now.
I held my iPhone up to the telescope lens and took this picture of it.
Sf96flRm.jpg

I'll try some with a little age on it soon and tell you guys if I find a difference.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@mso489 i would love to try some of that Newminsters. I will have to order some. @Dave give us a report when you smoke an aged bowl. I dont know if anyone in the forum has aged that stuff yet.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Before finding Cult Blood Red Moon, I thought all cherry tobaccos were all topping and casing, no flavor. They also burned hot and not only lacked good flavor, but tasted like (bleep). I have at least a half dozen cherry blends in my 'probably will not ever smoke again' stash.
I am not a big aro smoker, but I do enjoy CBRM on a regular, albeit occasional basis. I love the cherry and chocolate notes, it is a cool, dry smoke that doesn't get hot (unless you chase it). Room note is fantastic and brings praise from those around me when smoking with, or in front of others.
From another fellow CBRM fan...cheers! :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Heard about it a few months back through watching the Dagner's channel, Jay is a huge fan of it. I only order through SmokingPipes though and haven't seen it there yet. If it ever shows up at SmokingPipes I'll order a tin.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for the mini review.
I love the taste/smell of cherry tobacco, but they all seem to burn on the hot side, and some ridiculously so. I'll add this to my wish list!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After one full year of smoking a pipe I can honestly say that the only Cherry blend I've had was something by Sutliff that came along with a pipe I'd 'won' on FeeBay, called April Dawn.

By the time I tried it, I had learned to slow down considerably, and found it reasonably pleasant.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I love the taste/smell of cherry tobacco, but they all seem to burn on the hot side, and some ridiculously so.
Rob, I can't say whether or not you will like its other attributes when you smoke CRBM but I can say it does not bite unless you freight train it.
Slowing down has been my biggest lesson in learning to really enjoy pipe smoking, and I still have to keep an awareness of my cadence if I am preoccupied while smoking. But I am going to stick my neck out here and say this tobacco is really on the no bite side of the spectrum for an aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.