Culling the Herd: Anyone Else Feel the Need to do So?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've been slowly selling some of my collection. I just have way too many, as I don't smoke as much as I used to. I'm dipping more, for the better or the worse.
I really dig sandblasts, and I've sold or selling all of my smooth pipes. A few closet queens that I never smoke are going to auction too.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I definitely need to thin out my collection, as time has passed my tastes have changed and I’m not so interested in pipes that I was very keen on two or three years ago. I’m definitely keeping my old Brit woods and Kaywoodie’s but aside from a few of the others I have that are kinda rare they need to hit eBay. I don’t know how I managed to accumulate over two hundred of them (I stopped counting at that point) but I’m focusing and refining my collection and the weird system pipes, Longchamp, Kiko, Upshall’s and others I picked up will be going to auction so I can invest in my latest obsession, old Sasieni’s.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
As with many hobbies, pipe collecting can get out of hand quickly. At some point, I realized that I didn't really care about keeping the pipes I wasn't smoking and sold those off on the Bay.
Aside from some spare MM cobs and hardwoods that I keep in reserve in case one in current service suffers an unfortunate accident, I don't keep pipes that I don't smoke. I only have nine briars as of right now, and I'm pondering selling at least two of those.
I say let them go. Pipes are meant to be smoked.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As with many hobbies, pipe collecting can get out of hand quickly. At some point, I realized that I didn't really care about keeping the pipes I wasn't smoking and sold those off on the Bay.
Aside from some spare MM cobs and hardwoods that I keep in reserve in case one in current service suffers an unfortunate accident, I don't keep pipes that I don't smoke. I only have nine briars as of right now, and I'm pondering selling at least two of those.
I say let them go. Pipes are meant to be smoked.

As I was primarily a cigar smoker for many years, and someone that doesn't smoke every day; at one point I had over 60 pipes. Many sat for long periods of time without ever getting smoked. I decided that if I'm not going to smoke these then they need to be moved along to someone that will. With 40+ pipes still, I decided it was once again time to sell off more pipes. It's time to move some of these on to people that will enjoy them. After all that's what they were made for. After I sell off the ones I've decided to move on, I'll still have 28 smokers. Which is still a big number for me, but one I'm comfortable with at the moment.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
After selling off a couple more pipes. I acquired this Scott Klein sandblasted bent apple from 2011. Think I'm good for a while. Still a few more pipes to sell off, but I've scratch the PAD itch for a while.

20240224_210746.jpg20240224_210736.jpg

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I wait until I see a pipe or style of pipe I might want to buy on the smokingpipes.com website. Then for credit I send them the pipes I no longer love. Oddly enough, the credit rarely seems to last longer than a few weeks.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've had multiple inquiries since posting this thread, and another one today regarding certain pipes for sale. I appreciate all the inquiries, and for those out there that have purchased one of my pipes, thank you. I hope they treat you well as they did for me. I still have a few pipes up on that bay sight for those interested.

For those that have inquired about the Peterson bent billiard meerschaum, I'm still very undecided about that one. If I do decide to sell it, I'll check with those that have inquired about it through a PM before posting to that other forementioned site.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've done this periodically over the years. Pipes, like Tribbles, are all too easy to accumulate. And I just don't like the sense of materialism that comes with a surplus.

After several decades with pipes, and a few rounds of serious culling, I'm finally down to the point where it's extremely difficult to cut any deeper. The pipes I have remaining are custom commissions and those with which I have a special connection. There are maybe three dozen now (I refuse to count them). At my peak I had over 200. Never again.

I have similar issues with tobacco. I've accumulated far more than I can ever smoke, but I've been making a dent on that, too.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Buying is easy, selling is hard. When I started collecting I could purchase 2-3 a week on eBay, no worries.
When it came time to sell, 2-3 a week was work.
At it's peak I probably had close to 250-300 pipes in my collection, it took several years to get that back down under 100 and it's ongoing.