PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Can someone post a picture of some cube cut flake. I was wondering yesterday if I m getting the size of the "cubes" wrong.
D

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not sure how they could be "wrong" unless they're too big to fit in your bowl. There is no "wrong" here, IMO.
Bob

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
No wrong or right. Just chop them up, load in bowl and enjoy.

If the flakes are really moist and I don't feel like waiting I'll trim the cubes a little smaller. If the flakes are dry I'll leave them bigger like rectangles.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
bentmike:
I'm not a fan of silver bands on pipes (unless it's a Peterson System), but I have to tell you that the birds-eye grain on the pipe in the University Flake photo is gorgeous. If that carries through to the other side as well, you've got yourself one beautiful pipe!
Bob

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Bob for the compliment! That pipe is a Peterson Aran 53. The Aran finish is kind of dull looking inside but get them out in the sunshine and contrast stain really pops. It looks just as nice on the other side. Not shabby at all for a bottom end Pete.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
Not trying to hijack the thread but since cube cutting has been brought up I also have a question. What is the best way to pack a pipe with this method....the three step or something different?

Jul 12, 2011
@bentmike, nice cube-cut'in brother
I don't cube-cut all my flake , since I started and learned

fold/stuff method before finding the great cube-cut I find it

depends on blend and pipe for me...Blends like MB's ODF,

I cube cut and find it gives great flavor and depth to the

smoking experience vs a fold/stuff...now for Pete's UF,

I fold/stuff in a Stanwell 63M or other 3/4" diameter bowl

chamber and it hits the spot...agree as stated no right or

wrong way to prepare your flake (except rubbing the "@&$?!'

outta it ;-) experiment and enjoy

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I tear them apart to size, am a person with no patience. First along the grain, lenght wise then into the short.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
This is the way that works best for me. I cut it between 1/8" to 1/4" depending on the blend. Wet flake 1/4" as it will shrink a little and also the way I prepare it.
Tap, tap, tap, tap then refill. Then tap, tap, tap and refill with a little tamp. Check the draw so you have a little resistance. Then use the small "kindling" to top it off with a little tamp. Check the draw and if it's not perfect, dump and start again. The most important thing is proper drying, to wet and the flake will expand clogging the bowl, also giving off steam that will lessen the flavor. The best method I've found is drying it well and wet flakes can take 12+ hours. Then put it in a used tin for a couple days letting the small amount of moisture still in the center, even out through the flake letting the flake burn evenly.
There are many ways of preparing flake, and each blend takes different preparation. You will find what works best for you going through the different blends. Some are ready to smoke right after cutting, but wet flake you should take the time and care to get the most out of the blend.
There’s also delayed gratification where you take the bowl and do your char light then letting it sit overnight. Depending on your cadence, with properly prepared flake you'll never have to tamp or relight, getting that perfect ball of ash to dump out.
But as I said, there are many ways and many blends. Just another piece to the journey of learning to smoke a pipe, with the many blends it can take years.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I always cube cut then dry, it makes the drying faster. I use the 3-4 stage fill method and make sure I have some good resistance when I am done. I find that my flakes smoke cooler with a tighter pack. If I pack too loosely it gets very hot and ruins the flavor of the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.