PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
You can probably get some good cigar sticks, however I wouldn't think pipes are so hot down there. Also, I would avoid trying to bring any tobacco from there back to the US.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Cigar leaf can be blended with pipe tobacco. Russ O, Greg Pease, C&D, McClelland have all done it. Granted, it's probably not leaf from Havana (obvious legal hurdles), but I'm just sayin'...

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Yes, one way that you know you have entered Canada from the States is that every block has a store advertising its Cuban cigars. :) Pipe tobacco you really have to search for but Cuban cigars are everywhere, I mean every where, in any city that gets a lot of American tourists.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Yes what macnutz said is true. It's hard to find pipe tobacco, but you can get a Cuban cigar at just about every other corner store. I really love Cuban cigars, so much so, that I was thinking of getting a cigar, cut it into plugs and stick it in my pipe. I saw a video posted on here of a guy doing that, very good idea.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I've been thinking of the same thing, partly because the cigars just last too long for me to get through a good one in one sitting, unless it's a wander about town all day kind of day.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
For me it's not really the time that bothers me, it's the prices for a real nice cigar. I'm personally a huge fan of Cohibas, but not so much of the prices. But at the same time, if I smoke it in my pipe instead, I can prob get 4-8 plugs depending on the length and guage of the stogie.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
Even though Cuba is known for it's cigar tobacco, they do have a pipe tobacco blend. Of course it's made from the same tobacco that goes into cigars. It's not bad but not that great either.
A friend of mine who is friend of the Robainas, bring back for me some 5 year old wrapper cigar leaves from the Robaina farm (Vuelta Abajo in Planar del Rio.) I chop these up and smoke in a pipe. A very enjoyable smoke in and of itself. Sometimes after snipping the cap off, I'll get a plugged Cuban cigar. I don't even bother lighting it. It immediately goes into a coffee grinder and smoke in my pipe. I like to have some chopped/grinded Cuban cigar leaf kicking around to mix with other blends or to smoke as is.
I love pipe smoking and 80% of my smoking is pipe smoking. But my first love is cigars, particularly Cuban cigars. I go to Cuban quite frequently and everytime the focus is cigars. I don't even bring a pipe along. It'd be like bringing sand to the beach. It's "awful" sometimes between the $8-$10 rum, cheap cigars, great weather, live music and the best ambiance for smoking anywhere in the world, I'm usually drunk or recovering from a hangover and always in a state of nicotine intoxication.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Peretti's has a blend that is their oldest mixture called "Cuban Mixture". It dates back to the early 1900s and does have a little bit of a cigar note to it. Maybe they imported some leaf before the embargo went into effect. It's a very good smoke, one of my favorites from their line.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.