PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Not sure if it’s weather related (below freezing temps around here) or perhaps technique related but I’ve been finding the last portion of unburned tobacco to have become a crusty puck. More than what I’d consider dottle, but not much more. Definitely not wet dottle as one might expect. I can tap the puck out once I start struggling to keep it lit near the end and it comes out as a crusty puck. Perhaps it’s all spent tobacco but wondering if I might be doing something wrong.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
You may be using too much pressure when tamping.
Just using a czech tool and pretty mI have use the weight of it only. After halfway through the bowl, I find I can feel the crust I go to tamp and need to break through the crust to get the bowl rockin’ again. At this point, it remains crusty and requires more tamp pressure that the first half did. Probably a perpetual cycle from this point on.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Try tamping one more time and relighting, may burn it up. Tamp more around the outside.
Up until recently, I had been just tamping around the edges trying to avoid a direct center tamp, but I started trying something new with an aim to get a flat surface. Could that be exacerbating this issue?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Up until recently, I had been just tamping around the edges trying to avoid a direct center tamp, but I started trying something new with an aim to get a flat surface. Could that be exacerbating this issue?
Possibly. The core you described is higher on the edges, correct?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you have done all that, you are packing too much tobacco in the bowl. Pack less and pack lighter as in don't shove the tobacco into the bowl.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Possibly. The core you described is higher on the edges, correct?
No, pretty flat. I had been tamping aiming the keep the Center slightly higher than the edges, (like a tiny hill). But the crustiness I think has only been since I’ve been tamping flat. But, it’s gotten way colder too so could be related that too, I was thinking. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No, pretty flat. I had been tamping aiming the keep the Center slightly higher than the edges, (like a tiny hill). But the crustiness I think has only been since I’ve been tamping flat. But, it’s gotten way colder too so could be related that too, I was thinking. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Light it a time or two and keep doing. Or, just discard it and don't worry about it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What percentage is dottle typically? sometimes I smoke it all to ash and sometimes theres more in there than I’d expect. Maybe 10% of full bowl.
Only you can decide that. But that all sounds like I've been there before. When it doesn't smoke or taste good, it's dottle. Just because there's tobacco, doesn't mean you should smoke it.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Not sure if it’s weather related (below freezing temps around here) or perhaps technique related but I’ve been finding the last portion of unburned tobacco to have become a crusty puck. More than what I’d consider dottle, but not much more. Definitely not wet dottle as one might expect. I can tap the puck out once I start struggling to keep it lit near the end and it comes out as a crusty puck. Perhaps it’s all spent tobacco but wondering if I might be doing something wrong.
Presumably you’re experiencing this in a pipe that hasn’t previously smoked liked this. If that’s not the case, then you may be smoking a pipe that wasn’t quite drilled correctly. Also, you don’t mention whether this was with a familiar tobacco or a new blend; could it be the tobacco? Or differences in moisture level of the tobacco, relative to the outside temperature? Depending on how cold it is where you’re actually smoking (below-freezing temps don’t matter if you’re smoking in your living room), the cold could be affecting your pipe’s response to moisture and heat.

Sorry. I guess that’s really just a lot of guessing…

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy