PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
So, I have been working on this guy for a while and was wondering. Should I shorten this one a bit? I could take just shy of a 1/4 inch off the bottom. It's going to be a 1/4 bent tankard I am thinking.
image.jpg1.jpg
[/url][/img]

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Looking good.
What is the current overall height? I am trying to envision what the 1/4 inch you are talking about would equate to.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It base does seem a bit tall for where the stem meets the pipe from looking at the pics. If you could loose a bit off the bottom without otherwise affecting the pipe, it might make it look a bit more traditionally proportioned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's the design choice as I see it. The current proportions are a little unusual and dramatic, maybe a pipe for Father Time or the Thane of the Loch. The more you trim it, the more it will go back into the traditional poker category, for better or worse, but it will also lose some weight, which in terms of actual use might be a good thing. I think you need to make that call, since you have (and should have) artistic control here.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I honestly like the way it sits now. It even looks nice unfinished. The raw look is unique and different, and it's yours. I say leave it, but I'm a bit ecclectic when it comes to custom.

It depends on what you intend it to be. As with all of art, if you set out to write a sad song or paint a sad picture and it isn't sad, you've failed. But, that doesn't mean the song or painting is bad, just unsuccessful at meeting your objectives. If you wanted this to be a traditional poker, then, mmmmmm, not so much. But, it's cool none-the-less. Sort of avant garde, so to speak. If you wanted to make something unique, then it's a win.

Do I like it? It's cool looking and unique, but not something I would want to smoke. But, I can definitely see someone finding it appealing. I definitely like looking at it. If it were to be more traditional, with a shorter stack, it probably would come across as looking mediocre for a poker, just another traditional shape. So, maybe consider just leaving it this tall and go with the unique pipe look.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
As many others have mentioned it is your pipe and it is you who must be pleased with it in the end. Since you asked though I will state that I would take some off the bottom but on an angle so the pipes cants forward a bit it doesn't sit up so straight...only my opinion though. Let us know what you decide and be sure to post a picture of the finished pipe for us to admire. :puffy:

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I agree with most of the posts above. Ultimately it is your pipe so the only thing that matters is that you like it. I happen to kind of like it the way it is but I also agree with JKRUG. I would like it better if just enough of an angle were put on it to cant it slightly forward. Of course, I really like that look. I look forward to seeing what you do to it.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Hmmm...I like the canted idea!!! I am thinking a slight ale of the top and bottom canting forward and so that it will not char the rim towards the back with the stem being bent just so much.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To me the shank and stem seem a bit high. I think if you take a bit off the bottom, keeping in mind not to make the bottom of the chamber too thin and prone to burn out, it'd look better. I also agree that you could round off the bottom and make a nice looking billiard out of it if you want to. Could also make it a Cherrywood instead of a Tankard. In the end it's your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.