PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
I have a plastic Bit that has a small crack at the lip. This may sound like an odd question. Would Crazy glue be a bad idea? It is not a big issue, but I would not mind fixing it. It is a Czech pipe I used for Aromatics. Thanks in advance for any advice

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I use Krazy Glue on my Peterson. It worked fine. I use a softee bit. So, when the bit is on there, you can't even tell there was ever a problem.

whitecloud

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
Super glue is a cyanoacrylate glue that gives off methyl isocyanate when it cures - that's what killed all those people in Bopal, India back in the 1980s. I would be wary about sucking it into your mouth or lungs as it is a carcinogen. Don't get upset if you've glued it already but I'd let it cure for a couple weeks before I use it. For my pipe stems I use a soldering iron at a low temp. If you use a high temp it has a tendency to bubble the material. Use a low temp. and drag down across the crack without displacing the stem material too much. Then sand the rough surface (I use a fine fingernail file). Then use fine sandpaper or steel wool and then polish (either use very fine sandpaper or use a buffing wheel with brown tripoli then white diamond and someone suggested jeweler's rouge for the final polish. Some people do this using t-shirt material impregnated with the polishing compound. If this sounds complicated just rub the stem with increasingly finer grit polishing compound. I hope this adds something to your information library.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I wouldn't do it. If it's an inexpensive pipe (which I'm assuming due to the plastic bit) I wouldn't risk it.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
No worries once it is cured. Sooner than that, both the fumes and the fact that it can be really hard to get out of your mouth can be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.