PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Whenever I get into a new hobby I go all in. One of my first purchases after buying a cheap pipe and some Captain Blacks was the book Pipesmoking: a 21st century guide.
Something that I do not remember reading about in it was Palate Fatigue or what to do about it. I might have glossed over it I’ll have to check back.

Having only recently gotten over Covid I was scarred that my tastebuds might never function at full force again. For over a month I could not taste a thing so I just smoked a lot of 5 brothers or blends I didn’t particularly care for for Nic fix alone. When the Covid began to lose its grip I started to taste Latakia again and that was about it.

As a burley lover I was afraid that the subtle nuances were gone and I would never again taste the sweet nutty flavor of my beloved 5 bros or the florals in Semois. I started Tasing perique again one night with NightCap then I could really recognize it in Old Joe Krantz the next day.

So it seemed that my tastes were coming back slowly. I was still worried that something was seriously wrong so yesterday I broke up a cake of Sutliff Red Va and to my surprise I could really taste it in all it’s sweet beauty. It felt as if I’d sucked on a lemon or eaten a piece of ginger. I’d been smoking Englishes,VaPers, and Vaburs looking for that flavor that I just needed to go back to basics to unlock my palate. Later that night to test myself I folded an Irish Flake and savored the entire thing for 45 minuets. This was the same flake I stuffed in a bowl one day a few months ago and I could not taste a thing ,nothing, notta.

Tricks and tips for palate re training, cleansing, ?
Is there better terminology for this sort of thing?

Thanks

Reactions: MtnGeo and FLDRD
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Perhaps one upside to this malady is that people are learning to pay more attention to what they're tasting, as they (hopefully) come out of it. Even if you don't completely recover your sense of taste, you'll appreciate what you can sense even more.

I believe pipe smoking in general, trying to discern those really subtle flavors in the smoke, has made me more perceptive of flavors in food and drink.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Stay away from Latakia. That alone shuts down my palate for anything else.

Relax and it’ll be fine soon.

Reactions: vosBghos

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Profound in it’s simplicity 😎
Yep, "time heals all wounds", as the saying goes.

Encouraging (I guess?) that others have experienced something very similar to what I went through as an avid, everyday pipesmoker. The bug hit me last May (2021), and at first, I couldn't smell a damn thing, but the sniffer came back eventually. For a good stretch it was just off, but only with specific things -- coffee, some pipe smoke, cooking eggs or butter, garlic, etc. -- raw onions still smell powerfully unpleasant to me, though I have no problem eating them.

Though things were generally off over the last year, I kept smoking anyway. Maybe my palate will never be perfect again, but I just press on and try to make the most of it.

My only advice: try lots of different things, slow down and enjoy the experience, and challenge your brain and palate to be extra observant about the tobacco smoke.

Life is an adventure.

Reactions: RonB and vosBghos

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Had the same covid taste / anxiety it wouldn't return, thing happen to me. In my case, my sense of taste and smell just vanished overnight. One day I was on my front porch enjoying the hell out of a Parodi Ammezzati, and then the next morning I lit one up and it was just warm air. The only flavor that didn't entirely disappear was citrus, and I am not even entirely sure if my brain wasn't just filling in the gap between the sensation and what I thought I was supposed to taste. There was nothing that I could do to coax my tastebuds into working, I just had to wait a month or so and it gradually returned, but with weirdness attached.
Turning my taste off and back on again sort of rebooted my brain for taste preference. Certain flavors that I used to really like are too intense for me to handle - Blends heavy in a lot of rich burley for instance, are too much for me to smoke every day(It's all I used to smoke). It still tastes the same as I remember, turned up to 11.
I am noticing a new found affinity for Virginias and even Oriental and Latakia blends that I used to almost universally dislike. I am tasting things that I've heard other people describe in certain tobacco types, but never could before. All of this is probably due to the fact that after recovery, my sense of smell returned at an almost superhuman level. My wife has always chewed spearmint gum.. never bothered me. Now if she even walks into a room and has spearmint gum in her mouth, the smell is so strong it makes me wanna heave. Another funny one.. asparagus.. people always told me it makes your pee smell funny. I could never smell it before. But holy crap.. now, if anyone in my house has eaten asparagus and takes a leak, I can smell it from the next room.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I can totally relate to this.

A few years ago I lost my senses of smell and taste for 2 years because of a sinus issue.
Absolutely devastating for one who loves wine and food.
Thankfully sinus surgery fixed that and my senses of taste and smell are firing on all cylinders now.

There are things we take for granted until we lose them.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I'm dealing with COVID right now. Haven't lost my sense of smell or taste fortunately. Wild swings in temperature yesterday. Today I'm just plain exhausted. Day two without smoking a pipe, just not up to it.
Sad to hear that you got COVID. You will be weak for some time. The other symptoms are a pain in the ass, but nothing compared to how tired you get. I was too tired to read or even smoke a pipe. I will be thinking and praying for a quick recovery. Don't give up because it does get better.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Sad to hear that you got COVID. You will be weak for some time. The other symptoms are a pain in the ass, but nothing compared to how tired you get. I was too tired to read or even smoke a pipe. I will be thinking and praying for a quick recovery. Don't give up because it does get better.
I always said it wasn't a matter of if you're gonna get it but when. Well my ticket got punched. Your prayers are much appreciated my friend.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Took me 3 months before my taste and smell were back to normal. Everything besides English blends tasted like burnt plastic. When I finally got back to normal I believe I smoked for 4 hours straight 😅

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I'm dealing with COVID right now. Haven't lost my sense of smell or taste fortunately. Wild swings in temperature yesterday. Today I'm just plain exhausted. Day two without smoking a pipe, just not up to it.
Hoping you just got the much weaker variant (likely, based on the timing). In which case, the smell issue won't really be an issue like it was for those of us who got it last year before all the mutations.

Reactions: FurCoat and jpmcwjr

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Same thing has happened to me over the past year. Very frustrating. I will be able to enjoy the first few minutes of a pipe, or a meal for that matter, and then taste starts to dull or fade away. Has improved a little, but I agree that time seems to be the answer. Hopefully.