PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven't ordered a new pipe in around 2 years. I've said I don't want any more Meers as I want to focus on coloring the 2 I smoke daily. But ..... I saw this one on Altinay's site the other day and couldn't resist. There were a few things I didn't like so I used this one to commission a custom Meer from Mr. Altinay. I thought the bowl didn't have enough taper and was a bit too small to be symmetrical to my eye. I prefer a bowl ID of .75 to .80. I really like the inner bowl size of the Altinok I smoke daily.

I asked Mr. Altinay to make a very similar pipe with a slightly taller, wider and more tapered bowl with a .75 to .78 bowl ID. I asked to extend the length to around 5.5" with most of that being a longer shank. The mount joint and stem are really attractive to me, kind of unique for a Meer. I asked Mr. Altinay to keep those the same. He didn't promise a time, just said it will take a little while which is fine by me. Looking forward to see what he does with it.Snag_3d269732.png

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It has been my experience that looking at pipes for too long inevitably leads to purchasing pipes. I can’t wait to see how your commission turns out. The pipe you based it on is quite nice.
Agreed. I scan more than look. That one caught my eye immediately. And that was what it was going to take, something that really appealed to me and was somewhat unique.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I didn’t specify the chamber would be conical but I believe it will have to be. Which is fine. The chamber on my other Altinay Dublin is conical. And yes, I liked the plateau rim.
I don't think I've knowingly seen either feature on a meerschaum, but dig it. The conical chamber seems to work well with flakes.

The mount and stem are unique and attractive too. Enjoy in good health.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Thanks for posting this. I have an old plain meer from Turkey Purchased in the 70s from a friend of my dad.
I love it and would like another one but the ones on other sites are all heads... I don't want heads, I want more classic or carved design shapes, like the ones on this site.

Many thanks @hoosierpipeguy

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Thanks for posting this. I have an old plain meer from Turkey Purchased in the 70s from a friend of my dad.
I love it and would like another one but the ones on other sites are all heads... I don't want heads, I want more classic or carved design shapes, like the ones on this site.

Many thanks @hoosierpipeguy
Be sure to also check out Altinok, Tekin, AGovem, Ali, and many others.