PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
How do they keep coming up with all those tasty lends? That and what are they smoking when they name some of them. Cross eyed Cricket case in point.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm more than a little curious about where they get their tobacco leaf. I'm referring to wholesalers, auction houses, distributors, etc.

And maybe you could ask for some insight into their supply problems issues.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Not sure what specifically Cortez is referring to, but I'm interested in the availability of Syrian Latakia. Is it likely to be produced again and will C&D have access?

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
Here's my two cents: If they could come up with a VA similar to Dunhill Light Flake or SG Best Brown, I would buy theirs vs. the over the pond stuff. It must be a flake though, not a krumble cake. This may be a tobacco source thing though, as many english VA's come from africa.Peace

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
By supply issues I was referring to

• availability of the specific leaf types they need for their proprietary blends,

necessary substitutions (do they substitute or just stop production),

competition for leaf (the problem for microblenders that Russ Ouellette alluded to),

the Syrian Latakia problem that Rick mentioned,

crop problems and dwindling numbers of suppliers (e.g. Maryland tobacco)

I'd just like to find out how they see the future from the supply-side;

but don't forget part one of my above post.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Kevin... I just had a crazy idea.

Can you see if C&D will give you 2 or 3 samples tins of their different blends to add to the box some of us are passing around? (See: “Anyone up for a box pass” thread) With our box pass if you take anything out you are then to replace it with something from you own stash, but the C&D tins could be something extra in that they could be sampled by all that were interested. If a participant wants to sample one or more of the blends they simply take a bowl full and then put the tin back in the box for those down the line that may want a sample smoke. It could be a creative and cheap way for a growing group of potential customers to sample C&D’s new blends. As participants we are paying the postage. After the tins are empty they can be discarded or replace with something else from C&D or one of their competitors.

Just a though … JC

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This is great input guys. Thanks so much.
JC, it's a nice idea, but there is no way I have time to coordinate it. I will be on the road for the rest of the month except for a few days. I am also traveling every single month for the rest of the year with the exception of September and December ... so far.
I am running 2 other businesses besides this one.

May 7, 2010
Just tell them Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for offering Night Train Flake at the Chicago Show. The more I smoke it, the more I love it.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Actually, I was just looking at C&D's new 2010 product guide that we got at the Chicago Pipe Show and there is a description for a new tobacco that was not in the 2009 "catalog" from the Richmond Pipe Show. I do not see these new blends on their website either.
This might be what you're looking for Phil:
ST148 Cap's Cavendish: C&D pays homage to the classic Capt. Black style of aromatic.
You could try calling C&D on the phone to find out about this blend

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That is strange. Maybe they printed the info too early and they haven't made the blends yet or they changed their mind and decided not to make them and accidentally left the info in the new brochure. Accidents happen and I still like a lot of their other blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.