PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Summary: an American version of the English flake formula, this complements Virginia with Black Cavendish for an intense, lasting flavor.
The British formula is to mix Dark Fired Burley and Virginias in a plug. "Freight Train" compares very well: it moderates the Virginias with Black Cavendish, raises the intensity of the Kentucky with Burley, and spikes the result with Perique to create a sublime, powerful smoke. A gentle sweetness melts like summer fog and reveals the strong tryptych of Burley, Kentucky and Virginia creating a flavor like barbecue with rich dark bread, calling to mind the amazing Dark Fired Kentucky Burley that C&D uses sometimes. Perique bubbles up with a sweet and sour flavor that adds some spice but mostly depth. The flavor lingers, as does the high-intensity dose of Nicotine, making this a perfect smoke for adventures deep in the forest or mind.
Thanks to Death Metal Underground member "Paul Warkin" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5394#review86620
For me this is an all-day smoke: tasty on the edge of being distracting, with a lingering depth of flavor and enough Nicotine to handle the hard problems of a normal day.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Coincidentally, I'm smoking Dark Flake right now. It's a weird mellow mix of the dark and air-cured, reminds me of a more hardcore version of Velvan Plug.
But Five O'Clock Shadow? Could puff that all day. Makes me think of the red wine I drank in the last years of my stay in a large city, where we got it by the case for a discount... wasn't bad wine, but after a couple bottles, it was background like a top flavoring.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
aquadoc
Cambridge is a typical English. This one has no Latakia or Orientals at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.