PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
I recently purchased some Cornell & Diehl Bailey’s Front Porch at a B&M while traveling. I've smoked almost half of the tin, and I must say that it is a very pleasant "oddity". Here's how it's described on Pipes and Cigar's website:

"Cornell & Diehl Bailey’s Front Porch is an excellent example of the American/English genre of pipe tobacco. The flavor is predominantly Burley and the Virginia adds just enough sweetness to keep it from becoming bitter. Then the Latakia and Perique kick in to give the blend depth and character. Reminiscent of many old-time blends, C&D's Bailey's Front Porch is rich and satisfying."

Before I even saw its description, the first thought that came to mind was "an American-English". In my opinion, it is a very mild English, or a VABUR with a kick. It packs well, and it is one of the best burning blends I have ever come across. It requires no drying time and yet is a one lighter all the way.

This pairs well with both black and sweetened coffee, precisely because it has both an English taste (which pairs with the sweetened coffee) and a slightly, sweet taste (which pairs well with black coffee). You can taste the VABUR base but are not overwhelmed by it, as is the also the case with the perique and latakia.

I think this blend would serve as an excellent introduction to English blends as it is a soft English. It has nowhere near the punch of a Nightcap and is slightly "softer" than a blend like EMP. It is still very flavorful and gives a solid English experience, but it does so with the smoothness that one who prefers American blends can find comforting.

This will most likely became a rotational, all day blend.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Very good review, Ora. I especially appreciate the fact that it pairs well with coffee. While I love C&D blends, I have always struggled with enjoying English blends. I want to enjoy them but there’s just something—-maybe the Latakia?—that is just interferes with my experience :(

I do have a jar lying around somewhere. Maybe I will have to give it another go.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
English Blends are wonderful...or wonderfully awful. I find that there isn't too much middle ground with them.
I find I can feel that way about the same blend from day to day. Other blends I may like more or less some days but English ones can be so good and then so dump the pipe and smoke something else.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I like Bailey's Front Porch a lot, but it's a little low nicotine for my needs. You might like Golden Ash as well. Morley's Best, and Big n' Burley are also in the "American English" vein, but more robust. Morley's has more Latakia punch and B n' B is high in nicotine, but is well balanced with a fairly mild Latakia presence along with the Orientals. It tastes awesome IMHO. You might also like Epiphany if you haven't tried it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I like Bailey's Front Porch a lot, but it's a little low nicotine for my needs. You might like Golden Ash as well. Morley's Best, and Big n' Burley are also in the "American English" vein, but more robust. Morley's has more Latakia punch and B n' B is high in nicotine, but is well balanced with a fairly mild Latakia presence along with the Orientals. It tastes awesome IMHO. You might also like Epiphany if you haven't tried it.
Low nicotine sounds right up my alley.

Epiphany is good. When I smoke it in a small bowl I don't notice the nicotine [not that it's high in Vit N, just more than my usual fare]

Reactions: Winnipeger

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
The nicotine hit is definitely low in Bailey's when compared to say Night Cap or War Horse.