PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I decided to order C&D’s Trio of Deer Tongue blends, pour myself a cup of dark roast coffee and have a New Years Day tongue fry.
F353755C-6A76-454E-BE6F-835B53B072EF.jpeg
I began by cracking C&D’s Engine 382. A fragrant mix of dark and white burley, bright virginia, a touch of unsweetened black cavendish and a splash of, you guessed it—deer tongue. Now I’m not gonna lie, this one had me excited because it pretty much reads like “Pegasus with Deer Tongue”. Well it isn’t. It just amazes me how C&D can use the same ingredients and by varying proportions, finds such nuance. Engine 382 stands apart from Crooner or Pegasus. It’s something you’ll want to experience for yourself. It’s a rich, flavorful blend with a pleasant room note. It’s not heavy on the deer tongue; you’ll taste the tobacco, but there’s a cooling note of creme-de-menthe. It’s more Burley forward than the VA added but it develops an interesting sweetness from the combination of the cavendish, Virginia and the deer tongue.
68D4D374-442D-4F52-BDB2-F30E40B52F8F.jpeg
Next, I went with Crooner. I’d had a bowl several days ago and was a bit shocked by the lack of visible deer tongue! The tin note, while obvious, was a bit underwhelming. — I can remember smelling past orders of Crooner through the packaging! However, it did put a smile on my face. Perhaps C&D intentionally toned this one down? I don’t know how I feel about it. When you’re expecting a deer tongue bomb? But this sample proved to be a more balanced and enjoyable smoke. A nice, well behaved, cool smoking, yummy Burley with “something.” I decidedly enjoy Crooner. Burley needs “something” — not necessarily some added VA, but “something”. That “something” in Crooner is Deer Tongue. If Granger is a Burley Lover’s OTC then Crooner is a Deer Tongue Lover’s Burley.
3757C146-34B2-4158-BD8F-54A2B842E7C0.jpeg
Last but not least, I cracked the Gentleman Caller. Gentleman Caller is one I’ve shied away from because I assumed it an aromatic. It’s not. It’s yet another old time pipey, burley forward, nuanced blend from C&D with deer tongue—a little goes al long way and in this blend it’s as prominent as the Crooner; at least it equals my most recent tin of Crooner. Gentleman Caller also has Perique in the mix. I’m no fan of Perique but in this blend it’s hardly noticeable. The star of all three of these blends is the stellar burley C&D uses uses and flavor of the deer tongue. The room note is really something to behold. (All three, actually.)

So which blend wins?

The winner for me is the one I cannot stop reaching for, Crooner.

Why?

Because I like simple blends that taste good and can hold onto that flavor throughout. No complexity is necessary for me. It’s why I enjoy Granger and now Crooner. I’m also a straight burley fan, which both blends are, so please take that into account.

That said, I acknowledge that Gentleman Caller and Engine 382 are likely to be favored by the majority. You’ll have to decide for yourselves which of these blends is for you. All three will ghost a pipe. But if you’re like me, Ghost away!

Burley and Deer tongue? Yes!

Your thoughts, please!

Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I smoke, well technically “santa” smokes a bowl of crooner every Christmas Eve when he drops by. Once the jars done it will be engine 382. I’ll then need to look at importing some deer tongue for blending.

I’ve found the crooner blend interesting. When it was fresh, I would get pops of the DT whenever it caught the ember. A year on and everything had kinda melded into a smoother but less interesting blend. Another year and the burley has been fully permeated with the DT. Man this is good.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
All estate pipes from antiques stores smell like crooner to me. Took me years to figure out it was that I was smelling and not something like captain black which is what I originally thought I was smelling. I figured it out when a local pipe shop gave me an oz of crooner to try. I reach for it a lot now. Tastes great and my wife loves the smell. I’ll have to check out these other blends with deer tongue.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
All estate pipes from antiques stores smell like crooner to me. Took me years to figure out it was that I was smelling and not something like captain black which is what I originally thought I was smelling. I figured it out when a local pipe shop gave me an oz of crooner to try. I reach for it a lot now. Tastes great and my wife loves the smell. I’ll have to check out these other blends with deer tongue.
Didn’t half and half or one of the other otc blends used to contain deer tongue?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Herbal vanilla is a good description. It reminds me also of tarragon
Didn’t half and half or one of the other otc blends used to contain deer tongue?
Tarragon is a good description too. Maybe a vanilla infused tarragon note.

Half and Half has an anise topping that would be comparable but different to deer tounge. I keep meaning to pick up Mixture 79, which sounds like something I would enjoy.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Gentleman Caller has become a new favorite of mine. It's one of the very few blends I devote a pipe to, since the DT ghosts; my Boswell freehand handles any DT and vanilla-oriented aro I feel like smoking. If you know me and my smoking habits, then you know that means I really enjoy Gentleman Caller, as I almost never devote pipes to a single genre or blend. But I'm willing to make an exception for GC.

Crooner is good too, but I find GC to be smoother and sweeter, and the perique will occasionally come through on the retrohale, giving a flavor that is like honeysuckle and spice on a spring wind. It's lovely. Probably the best room note of any baccy I regularly smoke. I haven't tried Engine, so I can't speak to that.

Glad your DT experiment went well!