PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

micdabutcher

Might Stick Around
Jun 20, 2013
Australia
Hi All. Just a quick question. I recieved a Country Gent in my latest 4noggins order and have found that the mouth piece is very loose in the stem. Should I expect it to tighten after a couple of bowls or should I contact Rich?
Mic

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The stems are pretty cheap. Mine has always been a bit loose. Soma may recommend puting bee's wax on the tenon or Chapstick. Another option is a Forever Stem, which can be used on any cob.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The easy permanent fix is just to heat up the end of the stem in water or over a lighter and then press it on a tabletop, you won't see a differince, but it will widen out the end of the stem and it will be a tight fit forever. If you acidentally overdo it, just sand it a bit to get it to fit again.

micdabutcher

Might Stick Around
Jun 20, 2013
Australia
Awesome idea Eric. Thats what I'll do. That way I can use my new pipe and won't have to wait a couple of weeks for another stem. Nice one! Thanks.
Mic

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I would also suggest grabbing a couple extra stems on your next order, for under a dollar its worth it to have a spare.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You can also use a Q-Tip to apply some water to the inside of the tenon. That will cause the wood to swell up a bit which will tighten up the stem.
Russ

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
the moisture build up from simply smoking it without a filter should causer the wood to swell and tighten up the fit

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I usually use clean nail polish. There's another option. And, before someone asks, I've never noticed a taste or a smell. Two reasons for that, though: 1) I might like it or 2) I might not be that sensitive (to the smell / taste, obviously I'm sensitive because I wear nail polish on my pipe).

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
A further suggestion would be to check out the videos at Aristocob.com. Scott has a video on how to fix a too loose or too tight stem. He also has a lot of interesting video info about cobs on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.