PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
Why feel deprived? It's your smoke, it's your tobacco. Smoke as many blends as you want, or not. No need to measure by other's standards. It's all comes out to more or less same coins. Only question is, is it imperial or metric?
Who suggested otherwise?

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I'm really tempted to start a thread "Your Five Favorite Blends", followed up by "Your Six Favorite Blends", ad nauseum.
Before I get mocked further...

I happened to come up with four I'd really need from among my current assortment and others I've enjoyed over the years when my mind was wandering during a smoke. Coulda wound up being two, coulda been seventy three. I was just killing time trying to have a friendly chat about how varied --or not-- other's "requirements" were. The initial point was not "what are the four best pipe tobaccos", or even "what are your four favorite pipe tobaccos.", and the fact that I enumerated which four would do me was kind of beside the point.

Clearly, growing up speaking a Hungarian-Mandarin creole and not picking up English until eight months ago, my ability to make myself understood is limited.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

I happened to come up with four I'd really need from among my current assortment and others I've enjoyed over the years when my mind was wandering during a smoke. Coulda wound up being two, coulda been seventy three. I was just killing time trying to have a friendly chat about how varied --or not-- other's "requirements" were. The initial point was not "what are the four best pipe tobaccos", or even "what are your four favorite pipe tobaccos.", and the fact that I enumerated which four would do me was kind of beside the point.

Clearly, growing up speaking a Hungarian-Mandarin creole and not picking up English until eight months ago, my ability to make myself understood is limited.
Don't mind @woodsroad he's just been on a bit of a tear lately...it's meant in good humor (also he grew up speaking a SE PA dialect...it's seldom understood).

As for me, I'm just weak when it comes to any opportunity to post a Seinfeld reference...it wasn't meant as mockery...just jest.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

Nobody understands me.
I’m the victim here.
:rolleyes:

No, really, it’s just that this topic has been repeated here so many times. Sometimes it’s just one blend, sometimes it’s top two, three or…four. Same thing.
My apologies if this struck you a bit too sharply. I’m not mocking you.

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
At this point in my pipe smoking journey (which is just over a year of current daily pipe smoking with some nostalgia for when I used to smoke a pipe off and on some 20 odd years ago) I feel like I could be totally happy smoking just 5 blends for the rest of my life. Everyone's tastes are different but what I like to have for variety is a cherry aromatic, a vanilla aromatic, a whiskey aromatic, an English blend, and a Burley blend. Something fruity, something sweet, something alcohol'y, something smokey, and something my brain just registers as, "Plain tobacco". The ones I like best as of now are:

Mac Baren 7 Seas Red Blend
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
Super Value Bourbon Whiskey
Peterson Early Morning Pipe
Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop

Between those 5 I've got everything I need to be a happy piper.puffy

Last edited:

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
Right now the four that would make me happy are:

C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Autumn Evening
Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme
G.L. Pease Embarcadero

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Current top four
Early Morning Pipe
Elizabethan mixture
Royal Yacht Mixture
Night Cap.

I like all of these alot. Looking forward to trying other blends. I got a couple coming in the mail. My local shops really only had these and a bunch of aromatics.

Reactions: FLDRD

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
Nobody understands me.
I’m the victim here.
:rolleyes:

No, really, it’s just that this topic has been repeated here so many times. Sometimes it’s just one blend, sometimes it’s top two, three or…four. Same thing.
My apologies if this struck you a bit too sharply. I’m not mocking you.
Nah, not the same thing as it relates to my post. If I had written, "do you need a wide variety, small variety, or no variety to keep you happy", which I tried to explain was the subject of my query, would I have escaped the opprobrium attached to "what are the six best..." type of posts, which are admittedly tired?

Man, I've really got to do something about my communication skills; was just taken to task by a moderator who told me I couldn't respond to a guy's post by saying "You're crazy". Sounds fair enough, but to give it some context, the lad had asked "..., or am I crazy?" And I replied good-naturedly, "You're crazy"

Now in the Hungarian-Mandarin border region from which I hail, answering an "...or am I crazy?" question with, "You're crazy" is understood to be a joke, but I guess the humor doesn't translate to English, with which, as I mentioned, I'm still grappling.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nah, not the same thing as it relates to my post. If I had written, "do you need a wide variety, small variety, or no variety to keep you happy", which I tried to explain was the subject of my query, would I have escaped the opprobrium attached to "what are the six best..." type of posts, which are admittedly tired?

Man, I've really got to do something about my communication skills; was just taken to task by a moderator who told me I couldn't respond to a guy's post by saying "You're crazy". Sounds fair enough, but to give it some context, the lad had asked "..., or am I crazy?" And I replied good-naturedly, "You're crazy"

Now in the Hungarian-Mandarin border region from which I hail, answering an "...or am I crazy?" question with, "You're crazy" is understood to be a joke, but I guess the humor doesn't translate to English, with which, as I mentioned, I'm still grappling.
I often concur with with such inquiries. "Am I wrong, or..." "Is it stupid to..." "Am I the only one who...". I mean, why ask the question you already know the answer to? I value my opinion, you should, too.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Its always changing for me but this week its :

KBV River of Deceit
Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed
Capstan Blue
WCC None of your business

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

8 months?
You must be the fastest English language learner around.
Doesn't seem like you're challenged by the language to me.
Congrats. I hear it's a difficult language to learn.
But to me, all other languages present challenges I'm not sure I could overcome.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I don't know that I have a Core Four, but I've resolved to always keep War Horse, Dreams of Kadath and Crooner in my inventory. Probably pick an English of some variety as my fourth.

Reactions: Tate

stelton

Lurker
Sep 19, 2019
Czech Republic
Currently my Top Four/five :) are:
Mellow Mallard or Scottish Autumn - Virginia
Edward G - VaPer
Gordon Pym - Orientals plus a touch of Latakia - English
Out of Africa - Aromatic