PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, that's odd re:Kirsten. I'm pretty sure they had prices posted a year or two ago on their website, (no longer the case). If I recall, they were somewhere from 80-130 based on options...but this is all from memory. Hopefully Lestrout will post back with the real price.
I very nearly bought one a while back but I ran across a YT tobacco video review wherein the gent smoked a familiar blend in a kirsten for the first time and mentioned that it seems to lose a lot of the flavor. I googled around and found several other people mention the same issue, (that it had a tendency to soften the rough edges of some blends by dulling the smokers perception of flavor. All just internet opinions, and you know how that goes. Anyway, I wrote off the pipe until Lestrout's comment.
Les, if you read this, have you tried smoking anything delicate with new pipe and have you noticed any funny business?

Mar 1, 2014
I can tell the difference between the temperature of smoke coming out of a Cob and a Churchwarden, but it's not that big of a deal, I seriously doubt that any kind of pipe smoke will give you a thermal burn no matter how short your stem.

However, we know that chemical reactions happen faster at higher temperatures, if your smoke is coming out of the stem at room temperature instead of body temperature then your tissue is probably going to have less of a reaction.

Calabash type pipes are the way to go. Churchwardens are ok but still a far cry from the change you would see with a large expansion chamber.
Don't forget the Al Pascia Curvey: http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Al-Pascia

caa55

Lurker
Aug 27, 2015
Do you think there would be any significant difference in temperature between a gourd calabash and a reverse calabash ?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I imagine whichever had larger condensation chamber would be the cooler smoking pipe. Never smoked a gourd calabash.
Again re: Kirsten, just found this page with prices. Just fyi:

https://www.kirstenpipe.com/page_pricelist.shtml

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
... it seems to lose a lot of the flavor.
In this particular case it's not like it matters. How much taste do you think the guy is getting sucking down three bowls in an hour.
The premiss here is pretty dumb. It's like a knife thrower that keeps putting the knife squarely in his foot asking not how to avoid hitting his foot, but to recommend him a slightly duller knife that will penetrate it a 1/36th of an inch less.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I understand your desire, but you can change meat on the grill and you'll burn it the same if you have a big fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.