PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
This is the coolest lighter ever.
I want it, but I keep hearing that they don't make these anymore so maybe i'll have to resort to ebay or something. But I just lot the design of it.
Don't bother checking PipesandCigars.com I'm pretty sure they are out... The video is 2 years old. :crying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdq-URaNQc

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Nimrods are cool and long out of production, AFAIK. Try eBay... Usually plenty there.
Also, google "Beatty jet lighter".... EVEN COOLER!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'll call your little miss beatty jet lighter, and raise you a flamethrower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVZycwjszoA

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
That Beattie is just the coolest dang thing I've ever seen. I think I need one.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I collect lighters and have tons of various pipe lighters. Nimrods are a favorite, but I always get the taste of the fuel in the bowl which I can't stand (maybe the reproduction ones don't have this problem). I still think the Old Boy lighters are the way to go.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I have an original Nimrod I never use. Its in ok condition, a little wear and tear but it works fine. Let me know if you're interested in a trade or something.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've had both styles of Nimrods and have a Beattie Jet. I think the Beattie is the coolest! One of those Blowtorches might be handy in the shop.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My Dad had a Zippo like the one in the first video and used it for years.

I never could get the knack of lighting it and opening it at the same time.

Dad did it all the time.

He would slide it open and strike it in one move... very cool.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
So.... Can anyone tell me or point me to an article that explains HOW the bettie jet lighter works? I know once the flame hits that black rod it jets out the flame downward... but I don't know what that rod is made of and how it works exactly.
Any info would be great. Thanks!

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Spartan this is a question I know I can answer. Haha I was consumed with the same question as you and so I looked up the patent and found it.
It's really quite simple and brilliant. There is a wick inside a brass tube ending just before the cap with a small hole in it and a good portion resting in the wadding. When you tip the lighter and the flame contacts the tube it heats the fluid that has been wicked up, vaporizes it, and the pressure finds the quickest way out which is the hole in the cap and ignited by the flame you already have. Brilliant!

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Still wouldnt leave home without my nimrod. The old gal behind the counter at Pauls Pipe shop said she hadn't seen anyone use a nimrod in many years there, when I was lighting up a sample. Geez, I would rather thinnk it nostalgic rather than old. :D

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
The Nimrod looks like a pretty cool lighter! I still love my old boy and don't see myself changing lighters anytime soon!

Was cool though!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have an old nimrod that was my grandfathers. Needs a little work and has thus been relegated to the deep dark ever populated junk drawer. He was rarely without that thing and it was one of the things that I asked my grandmother for after he died. Till this day the smell of lighter fluid makes me think of my grandfather.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Same here, but with my uncle. Can still picture him sitting in the front of our boat lighting his pipe filled with Holiday, and reeling in pike. Funny how certain pipe smells take one back. I have about 5 of these, 2 new still in the box, that one day I hope my grandkids ask for too.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Ive passed up a couple at antique shops and flea markets. they're interesting, but I don't really like the looks of them. I suppose I may pick one up because I am a bit of a lighter collector, but I doubt Id actually use it and that puts it pretty far down the list.
The Jet lighter on the other hand I need to find....I could swear I had one of those when I was a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.