PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Hello to all forum members.
Anyone has any experience with the pre¡sent day line of Barling meerschaum?
My wife has been pressing me to let her know which pipe I would like for Christmas and I have finally decided on one of these in a rusticated finish. I am confident about my choice as I have three Rattray's meerschaum ones from K&K and I believe they are sourced from the same producer (Altinay?). They are army mounts (which I like vey much for meerschaum), as all the Barlings ones I have seen. You can see them at smoking pipes.com or the Eu site.
I am a bit concerned about the logo on the stem since I don´t like flashy add-ons on pipes, but it is difficult to assess from a picture.
There is one at a Turkish site that was calling me but my latest experiences with Spanish customs and meerschaums have dissuaded me: I like to know how much I am going to pay for something before I order it, and I am finding surcharges up to 50%. Maybe I'll have to go to Turkey and bring it in my pocket :) (It may end up costing the same).

Reactions: LeafErikson

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I’ve only seen one on here, can’t remember who possesses it but it was a stunning pipe and if my memory serves me well it was starting to colour like an Altinay translucent Meer and colour very well too.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
They got that way a few years ago when lots of people were making a lot of noise about them.
Hey more power to Altinay if they can sell their pipes for the current prices. To be fair also I think their pipes were cheaper before the global inflation hit.

Also meerschaum pipes really seem to be having their moment in the sun. The most viewed video on meerschaum pipes in the history of the internet came out a year ago. 1.2 million views. I’m sure that had at least some small impact on the meerschaum market. It’s unfortunate how erroneous the Turkish translations are (according to many commenters).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hey more power to Altinay if they can sell their pipes for the current prices. To be fair also I think their pipes were cheaper before the global inflation hit.

Also meerschaum pipes really seem to be having their moment in the sun. The most viewed video on meerschaum pipes in the history of the internet came out a year ago. 1.2 million views. I’m sure that had at least some small impact on the meerschaum market. It’s unfortunate how erroneous the Turkish translations are (according to many commenters).

The irony of the video is that it's covering a carver who's work is typically priced the same as mid grade factory pipes rarely exceeding $200.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They got that way a few years ago when lots of people were making a lot of noise about them.
It's true, Altinay's prices have gone up over the last few years, but so have everyone else's it appears.

Altinay is actually a bit less expensive than a comparable IMP right now on the non-specialty models. It's primarily their bamboos or pencil shanks or transulcents that are quite pricey. I'm surprised at how expensive the IMP's have gotten. Those federal reserve notes just ain't what they used to be.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
It's true, Altinay's prices have gone up over the last few years, but so have everyone else's it appears.

Altinay is actually a bit less expensive than a comparable IMP right now on the non-specialty models. It's primarily their bamboos or pencil shanks or transulcents that are quite pricey. I'm surprised at how expensive the IMP's have gotten. Those federal reserve notes just ain't what they used to be.
You know those smaller $50-$100 smooth/lattice meers that normally have the screw push/pull tenons? The first carver to sell those at around the same price but with the more permanent Altinay, IMP, Altinok style tenons will make a killing.

Literally just mass producing run of the mill smooth/lattice meers with this kind of tenon for $100 a pop and they’d sell like hot cakes.
IMG_2701.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Altinay is actually a bit less expensive than a comparable IMP right now on the non-specialty models.
Again, difference between carver and distributor. That reverse calabash IMP that I commissioned from IMP cost around $150 less than what Meerschaum Market asks for the same pipe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Noooo don’t tell me that haha. I love the draw on those pipes. Dammit.
The newer replacement screw in fittings have a better draw than the older versions. Even my biggest pieces from Kenan, Ali, and Yanik have the screw in fittings.