PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've just never had any problems or annoying lack of performance with either. With a few almost unconscious adjustments, I can smoke most blends and cuts in either without problems.
Same. I just typically have pipes with conical chambers because I like the shapes of the bowls that often have them.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I smoked a few more bowls with new pack method on my Kirstens and find I am getting more flavor for a longer time than ever! I tried several different tobaccos so far and see the improvement.

My mistake up to now was trying to pack in the center more and more tightly to try to overcome my problem. Unlike a lot of taper bowls, this one has the hole in the center bottom that was making the situation worst the harder I tried to pack. My smokes were hard to light, keep lit, and had little flavor and lots of bite. I was working too hard at it. Now, I am tasting the toppings until the very end and its very easy on the tongue.

Now my K's are moving to top shelf status in my collection.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I just hump the tobacco with my tamper as I smoke them (but not too hard).

I see the bowel error was jumped on, but this oddity was left alone. I’m just doing my duty...like Duane.

willyspiper

Lurker
Jan 3, 2019
I still don't get the 'packing to the sides' method. Wish there were soome visual reference.
Read "Fill the bowl properly"

http://www.kirstenpipe.com/singleblog_pipecleaning.html
When packing, instead of putting pressure on the tobacco strait down into the bottom center, you use thumb and forefinger and pinch it in more to the sides a bit. After I pack this way, the tobacco is slightly depressed in the center as the edges are kind of stuck to the sides of the bowl. You have to moisten the sides for it to work! This seems to assure that the packing is tight on the sides and less so in the middle. I do not push any tobacco straight down as that pushes stuff into the center outlet hole at bottom. Previously, my pack would also expand up when lighting and let too much air around the sides. When tamping, just lightly push the raised edges down a little but don't tamp the center.
Hey, it sounded weird to me at first, but I have had these pipes for awhile now and this is the first time I am getting a great smoke from them.

Reactions: yanoJL

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
willyspiper. I am glad that the instructions have helped. I wonder if we need to wet the chamber sides after the bowl is broken in. Seems to be working well for you.
I do like the 3 Kirsten pipes I have but enjoy my classic briar pipes too.
Happy puffing!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
So, you end up with a 'bowl' of tobacco inside the pipe's bowl? Sorta?
I hate to impose, but IF you have an easy way to take a picture of your filled bowl and post, I'd greatly appreciate it. Don't worry if you can't, though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like packing a dome in the chamber. Tamp the sides and light the center. Some tampers like those made by 8decco are made with a concave tamping surface and help with keeping a domed pack as are golf tees.

Status
Not open for further replies.