PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxima

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I bought my second pipe. Dr Plumb pipe
I smoked it once and I really liked how it feels. I even thought its better than my first one (the Parker).. But in the end I noted 2 problems with it...
1. it runs considerably hotter in the end than Parker (although parker has large bowl and the plumb has medium)

2. the rim seems to charred unevenly and looks like the wood started to burn in 2 places (after 1 smoke).. compared to the parker's absolutely intact rim (after 2 weeks of smoke)..
the pipes are in about same price range.. so i am not sure - does dr plumb use rubbish briar? or i just missed a point?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, that's an interesting experience! I never owned a Dr. Plumb, but this is the first time I heard a complaint about them.

Thanks for posting your observations. I'm sure someone will have some input.

For a "medium" sized pipe, 41g does sound a little heavy, and that in turn suggests lower quality -- or so they say.

Pipedia.org states it is a sub-brand of GBD.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
New Dr. Plumbs are definitely a low-cost pipe, below price and quality of the now sub-standard GBD's. I've worked on some older Dr. Plumb estates and they look solid (and go cheap on Ebay, etc.)

maxima

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
thank you guys.. is there a website to compare most known pipes in one go. I need a light briar, large size bowl, below $100 :) if thats possible

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Check out the new Jobey pipes at Cup O' Joes. They are well within your price range and from the ones I've seen and handled not a bad pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just one further note re Jobey's. The stem screws onto the shank. The nice thing is that the tenon can be turned to straighten it and never be overdone. A neat feature on a budget pipe IMO.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
thank you guys.. is there a website to compare most known pipes in one go. I need a light briar, large size bowl, below $100 :) if thats possible
A large bowl that's light in weight is somewhat contradictory but you can judge the feel of the pipe and I'd suggest that balance is as important as weight (or lack of it), especially if you hold the pipe in your teeth (clench).
Hold the stem between the middle (~ 2nd knuckle) of your index and middle fingers and let it 'bob' as if it were in your mouth to get an idea of balance. You can also examine the shoulder of the pipe (viewing from the bottom) to see if the pipe is lopsided.
With less expensive pipes I'd further suggest that brand is less important than making sure that the pipe has good technical cuts. The following points may not all be present in the pipe that you're considering but you want them to be as close as possible.
Run a pipe cleaner through the lip (end of the stem) into the bowl. There shouldn't be any interference. Keep the pipe cleaner in the pipe and look into the bowl. The pipe cleaner should enter flush to the bottom and in the middle of the tobacco chamber. The hole where the pipe cleaner enters the bowl is the draught hole and it shouldn't be below flush (critical) or much above the bottom (flush is best).
The tobacco chamber should be symmetrical and tapering to the bottom. Use the pipe cleaner to measure the depth of the bowl and compare that to the height of the outside of the bowl. The outside should be larger by 1/4" or more (but not a lot more if you seek lightweight). The bowl walls should be symmetrical and about 1/4" or so in thickness.
Where the stem meets the shank is the mortise joint and it should be flush and not allow light through when examining the pipe from the side. You may need to twist and press the stem into it's proper place to test.
You don't want sharp edges on the stem, especially at the lip or on the button. The stem should fit snugly, but not tightly, (and definitely not loosely) into the shank. The tenon (male part of the stem) should be as long as the mortise bore (the female part of the shank). If the mortise bore seems to be very deep then you're probably measuring into the draught bore.
If you're not experienced at breaking down a pipe (taking it apart - separating the stem from the shank) then ask for help since this is the weakest part of the pipe. Google "Parts of a smoking pipe" will help by putting an image to the parts that I refer to.
Good luck and I hope that you find yourself a nice pipe.
Regards,
Pete

joeylapetina

Lurker
May 7, 2014
I'm looking for a second (non MM) pipe at around the same price range. I've been looking here - great selection. I also want a big-ish pipe that can rest easy. I have been looking at the Savinelli Hercules. Its big and kind of ugly - but I think I like it.
pm-psvhc-604ex-r.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Check out Pipes & Cigars.com. They just sent an email out yesterday, advertising the "Rainer Barbi" commemorative pipe for $99 (retails in EU for $200 or so). Made by Hilson. I suspect they'll go fast. Some of the cheaper line pipes have filters, so watch for that. Of course, if you are smoking aromatics, a filter just might be the ticket (balsa)
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1803/hilson-pipes/?type=Pipes

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I've got a couple of Dr Plumb dinkies, 9mm, ideal for a 10 minute smoke and I've had them a while but no charring of the bowl as yet.
They do a lot of different priced models and there meerchaums are pretty good too.
Never had a Peterson system yet and fancy trying one sometime.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I had an old Dr Plumb which I loved smoked great. My girlfriend gave it to a charity shop by mistake and I felt too bad to go and ask for it back. I did look in a few times to see if it was on sale but sadly no.

maxima

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I bought Stanwell Featherlight 303 from US.. Its about twice as expensive as I prepared to pay for a pipe.. so its better be good! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.