Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Given what a polarizing tobacco this stuff is I thought I ought to try it. I’ve read so many horrible things about condor that I just couldn’t fathom how a blend thought to be so terrible could still turn a profit for any company. How can this still be sold if it’s as bad as everyone says it is? Is @condorlover1 the sole smoker keeping this blend afloat? I just couldn’t believe it was THAT bad. So I did the only thing I could do, I ordered myself a 25g pouch from J Fox in Scotland along with another supposedly HORRIBLE blend to try, but more about that later.

The packaging was your typical euro fear mongering pouch covered in images intended to strike fear into the hearts of smokers. The warnings were in both Kings English and Welsh further contributing to my preconceived notions of what this tobacco was.

The tobacco was a little on the moist side for pouch tobacco but should dry out easily enough. The pouch note was that of dark steam pressed Virginia with a slight floral note. Appearance is a dark, moist, ribbon cut tobacco.

My expectations of this blend were, my pipe would be so ghosted I would have to destroy it. I was under the impression that upon the charing light my chest hair follicles would be stimulated to the point of instant Selleckifacation, I would start receiving a Cornish Mine Pension, I would develop a south end cockney accent, and I would be overcome by nicotine to the point of hallucinations.

What really append was ah wee bit different, I got me cuts’n scratches and took me first collar and cuff but it weren’t no early hours.

Wait, sorry… just a bit of lingering effects.

Upon light up I was greeted with a rather pleasant citrusy hay with a light floral topping. The topping diminishes as bowl progresses but is never all that forward to begin with. The nicotine hit is noticeable but not overwhelming. I could NOT get this stuff to bite no matter how hard I puffed it. With the exception of the topping fading the flavor was extremely consistent all the way to the bottom of the bowl even developing a very slight McC type katsupy/vinegary note when pushed hard.

I was caught completely off guard by this blend, what I found was very complex, slightly floral, full flavor blend completely devoid of bite. It’s got a fair deal of nicotine but can be an all day blend with no problem.

I’m not wild about the topping but I can look past it. I will be finishing this 25g pouch for sure.14F47220-0ACB-4395-B034-7F7418C04070.jpeg

I think condorlover was the most polarized. He loves it but hates it. I think he hated when it went to Poland to be made. I am not sure if he is currently for or against it right now.

I really liked the old version. It had a suntan lotion aroma to it, and was really strong. The newer version was ok, but I ordered 20 plugs and all molded in the package before I could smoke it. I am not into heavily cased/topped tobaccos enough to try it again.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Given what a polarizing tobacco this stuff is I thought I ought to try it. I’ve read so many horrible things about condor that I just couldn’t fathom how a blend thought to be so terrible could still turn a profit for any company. How can this still be sold if it’s as bad as everyone says it is? Is @condorlover1 the sole smoker keeping this blend afloat? I just couldn’t believe it was THAT bad. So I did the only thing I could do, I ordered myself a 25g pouch from J Fox in Scotland along with another supposedly HORRIBLE blend to try, but more about that later.

The packaging was your typical euro fear mongering pouch covered in images intended to strike fear into the hearts of smokers. The warnings were in both Kings English and Welsh further contributing to my preconceived notions of what this tobacco was.

The tobacco was a little on the moist side for pouch tobacco but should dry out easily enough. The pouch note was that of dark steam pressed Virginia with a slight floral note. Appearance is a dark, moist, ribbon cut tobacco.

My expectations of this blend were, my pipe would be so ghosted I would have to destroy it. I was under the impression that upon the charing light my chest hair follicles would be stimulated to the point of instant Selleckifacation, I would start receiving a Cornish Mine Pension, I would develop a south end cockney accent, and I would be overcome by nicotine to the point of hallucinations.

What really append was ah wee bit different, I got me cuts’n scratches and took me first collar and cuff but it weren’t no early hours.

Wait, sorry… just a bit of lingering effects.

Upon light up I was greeted with a rather pleasant citrusy hay with a light floral topping. The topping diminishes as bowl progresses but is never all that forward to begin with. The nicotine hit is noticeable but not overwhelming. I could NOT get this stuff to bite no matter how hard I puffed it. With the exception of the topping fading the flavor was extremely consistent all the way to the bottom of the bowl even developing a very slight McC type katsupy/vinegary note when pushed hard.

I was caught completely off guard by this blend, what I found was very complex, slightly floral, full flavor blend completely devoid of bite. It’s got a fair deal of nicotine but can be an all day blend with no problem.

I’m not wild about the topping but I can look past it. I will be finishing this 25g pouch for sure.View attachment 199157
I haven’t tried Condor since I sampled a tin of Gallaher’s Condor Long Cut in the early ‘80s (don’t know how similar the current version might be). For me, it was too heavy in nicotine, and I couldn’t get past the flavoring, which at the time reminded me of Erinmore. But this one has certainly had its fans.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I still smoke it on occasion as a 50/50 mixture with Warrior Plug. I was a devotee of the plug until it was sent to Poland and after that it just lost something in translation. My late friend Dave was devoted to the stuff and I gifted him most of my stash of Gallagher Plugs a year or so ago and he was still smoking his way through them until a few weeks before his demise. The Ready Rubbed had certainly lost its 'Washing Up' liquid taste the last time I purchased any. Recently I was very kindly gifted a pack from the late 1980s and that was spot and so it is savored and smoked sparingly.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I still smoke it on occasion as a 50/50 mixture with Warrior Plug. I was a devotee of the plug until it was sent to Poland and after that it just lost something in translation. My late friend Dave was devoted to the stuff and I gifted him most of my stash of Gallagher Plugs a year or so ago and he was still smoking his way through them until a few weeks before his demise. The Ready Rubbed had certainly lost its 'Washing Up' liquid taste the last time I purchased any. Recently I was very kindly gifted a pack from the late 1980s and that was spot and so it is savored and smoked sparingly.
@condorlover1 I've only had my clay pipes since production moved to Poland so can't comment. I've lost count of how many packets of Condor I've smoked in my clay pipes:)
Yes it does have a distinctive taste and smell but i can't put my finger on it...
Maybe I should make your old clay cutty my dedicated Condor pipe...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Was the other blend Clan?
@coming to_falling too I've smoked a few packets of Clan in my clay pipes; I think the Cavaliers and Redcoats (Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries / The Sealed Knot etc) would be better off putting their Clan in their guns instead of in their pipes, as it burns like gunpowder but smells better:)
I'd been advised by the Egremont clay pipe smoking competition event organisers to get some Clan to practice for their event as they use it for the smoke off!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Is the condor (Irish?) and warrior plugs combo better than the sum of its parts?

Reactions: Briar Tuck

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Welsh?

I'm not convinced.
just one of many mistakes in the review ;)
bought from JJ Fox in scotland? with welsh language warning.
somethings amiss

last time I looked JJ Fox was in Dublin Ireland and the warnings were in Gaelic

yes to my tastes the Polish Condor is not as strong ,either flavour or nicotine as the original

Last edited: