PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I enjoy St. Bruno Flake and would love to try some Condor. My wife has a friend going to Dublin soon. Does anyone know if this would be available at the airport? I don't want her going out of her way to pick some up, but if she is just sitting around the airport waiting for her flight...why not?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@ Scloyd, My understanding is that Condor green RR is available out there in 5 pack emballage,or at least was sometime ago

Yet, I suspect that long time ago St Bruno by Ogden's was produced in plug form as well and sold in metal tins,

Reactions: edger

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Smoking Condor right now out of a clay pipe ... the clay is doing something to the soap. It tones it down, and indeed the flowery aspect of the blend is put forward. That is very odd, as I hardly smoke other blends that I like a lot from clay just because I don't like the stinginess of the tobacco as it comes out of clay. I have yet to try it in a meer, but before I take out my beloved block meer (I only have one - and I simply love it), I better make sure it won't ghost the heck out of it. Cob is another thing I will try .. At the end of the day, I think this may all be in my head. Like I initially mentioned, this tobacco grows on you. So like some members said, it may take a while to get used to - by the end of the first pack, we may be friends after all.
scloyd It may be found in duty free, but I don't think you'll run across the old recipe. I think this Japan International, Polish made is all there is available on the market.
virginialover I just ordered a tin of 1792 ... I figured I am finally man enough to face the tonqin.

Reactions: The Clay King
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Madox07,on my Experience todays Condor wont ghost significantly meerscaums or my taste buds might be little dull in this regards,Yes it will take some time to get used to it,and very probably,after a while You may find Yourself considering on having a new batch of it.Minty, floral and refreshing,+ some airing prior to smoke does make it a little bit more palatable'

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've just bought a clay cutty pipe from the Pipe Rack in Crewe on eBay and have smoked some Condor in it. It smokes well although it's already started staining. After smoking a full 25G pouch in the first 2 days, today I just filled the pipe from my 2nd pouch of Condor before going out for a country walk, leaving my pouch at home.
This way, I only smoked one bowl of Condor in my clay pipe, I get to save money and not endanger my health!
Details of my latest clay pipe:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well I hate to rain on your parade but that is not really what would be described as a classic 'cutty' pipe. The 'cutty' was always short measuring 5 or 6" max and usually had a foot. What you have there is a German clay pipe. For your health sake do make sure the mouthpiece is glazed or painted with hard nail varnish so you don't get lip cancer. Here are a collection of small 'cutty' pipes I own to give you a point of reference. Sadly I am all out of clay 'cutty' pipes otherwise I would offer to send you one for comparison as the German clays are quite porous and tend to turn brown and then black after extensive use.

thumbnail.jpeg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I made 2 or 3 buys from James Fox of Dublin and spent far too much money, charged, of course. Wouldn't do it again, not for any mythical tobacco when much less expensive bulk equivalents are available. Those usurious credit b*stards just loved the likes of me. Haven't had a credit card for 5 years. There's nothing I want that's worth playing into their hands.

I can remember when credit cards splashed with VISA made their way into my parents' hands in the 60s who dutifully charged a $1000.00 to make our Christmas sumptuous, then besieged by debt, paid it off by summer. I think these cards fit well with the consumer culture of the time, when we were sold the cr*p that we were defined by things, and that we had to have them. They belong with dinosaurs and the populace is too dim to let them go.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Condor was a wonderful tobacco which I very much enjoyed and had to have, but the debt wasn't worth it. Dark Flake was my mainstay, and I adored it, and it cost maybe 25% of Condor. I spent thousands of dollars on pipes and tobacco that I wished I had now. I smoked from 2001 to 2012, quit and sold everything, and then picked the pipe back up and bought it all back. I never considered a budget, but I could have had substantially the same experience on a budget, albeit different.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Smoke as much Condor as you like. You can also try 'Dark and Mild' which was a half Condor RR and Half Gold Block mixture made up by the local tobacconist in the day when it was decent and traditional tobacconist still existed. I do know how to blow smoke rings but I just don't know how to explain it. Anyone want to jump in here please be my guest. I am sure you heard the joke about the two kids talking? One says 'My Father can blow smoke rings'. The other child responds 'Really? That's nothing. My Father can blow smoke rings out of his arse. I've seen the nicotine stains on his under pants!'. rotf

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@halfdan When I say 'amped up' it is one of my favorite Americanism and means to somehow increase through combination the nicotine yield of the bowl of tobacco you are smoking. Examples of which would be Condor Plug and Brown Twist, Mick McQuid Plug and Brown Twist. It doesn't work with Samuel Gawith's RB Plug and I think thats down to the Cheviot topping used in the plug which for some reason always reminds me of a 'hippy chick' smell from a heavy metal concert. Anyone know what the hell Cheviot is anyway? Please no wise arse answers about it being an automobile!

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan When I say 'amped up' it is one of my favorite Americanism and means to somehow increase through combination the nicotine yield of the bowl of tobacco you are smoking. Examples of which would be Condor Plug and Brown Twist, Mick McQuid Plug and Brown Twist. It doesn't work with Samuel Gawith's RB Plug and I think thats down to the Cheviot topping used in the plug which for some reason always reminds me of a 'hippy chick' smell from a heavy metal concert. Anyone know what the hell Cheviot is anyway? Please no wise arse answers about it being an automobile!
I thought meant to draw hard on the pipe!
I've smoked today's clay pipe of Condor on my walk in the country to the west of Chesterfield, in a perfect spot for relaxing with a view over Linacre reservoir to the woods beyond. Even on a still day though it can get a bit windy so it took ages to get it lit, but it was worth it and my pipeful of baccy went down a treat!
I've learned NOT to smoke a clay pipe whilst walking because you're more likely to drop it and break them!
While I was out on my walk today I picked some coltsfoot leaves.
I've read that coltsfoot was smoked in clay pipes as a tobacco substitute during the English Civil War, so I'd like to give it a try.
I guess I just need to dry out the leaves and then crush them up to smoke in my clay pipe.
Would I be better off smoking the coltsfoot on its own or mixing it with some of my Condor?
Finally, is Florida a tobacco growing state?

Status
Not open for further replies.