PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danboston

Lurker
Dec 1, 2009
Recently I have found when out walking around Boston, I have been getting more compliments and comments (mostly positive, as I think negative ones are scared to come my way). I appreciate all the compliments, and I wonder if people are more nostalgic for the smell of the pipes now.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I think people are nostalgic for a time when things were simpler and people didn't feel such a need to put on such a show. Things were how things were, men were men and women were women, people respected themselves and one another. Pipes bring people back to the time when pipes were popular. People like to see anyone display any sort of classicism or passion in these throw away times. I just smile, thank them for their compliment and find something to compliment them about.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Your observations are encouraging and certainly refreshingly bright

for these days. Thanks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I seem to get a lot of positive comments when I am out and about and smoking a pipe. Maybe the black leather jacket and full beard scare off the negative folks .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Phil said,
Pipes bring people back to the time when pipes were popular.

That works for me. Pipe smoking builds all kinds of associations with simpler, more honest times.

It sort of reminds us that there still exists uncomplicated, Lo-tech fun.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think it has something to do with the aroma of a pipe.

The sense of smell evokes an emotional response in people, and when associated with an encounter with a stranger. People can't help but be affable.
And that ain't a bad thing.
I recently had a similar experience as Dan's outside a local BBQ restaurant.

I love reminiscing with someone I've never met before.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Indeed, it brings back memories of a grandfather, father or someone else who "used to smoke a pipe all the time" or something similar being said. Definitely a walk down memory lane for many.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I find that positive comments about people's fathers and grandfathers come from the more mature set; meaning the 50+ set. Although, the other day while at my local B&M 3 freshmen from a local college came in for pipe tobacco and said they're in to pipes because cigaettes stink and pipes are "cool". I see more and more younger guys are entering the hobby and that's encouraging. They are willing to listen and try new blends. I take it as a positive sign for the future of the hobby.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've noticed that too Dan. I am getting more compliments lately when smoking a pipe in public.
I still get some people that give me weird looks, but not as many as before.
Here's a short article I wrote that talks a little about this.
Don’t Leave Home Without It ... Your Pipe
That article got a lot of attention. I was actually contacted by 3 forums in other countries that asked if they could re-publish it translated into their native languages.
Not to hijack your thread, but I think it's a good fit to this discussion.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I too get frequent positive remarks regarding my pipes and tobaccos. The only negative I have received was several weeks ago and it was from a non-smoking woman sitting in the designated smoking area (outdoor patio).
I politely suggested to her that she should move to the indoor non-smoking area if it really bothered her. She preferred to remain in the smoking area and gripe about the smoke. Go figure.

danboston

Lurker
Dec 1, 2009
Kevin - that is a great article and a even better motto. I never leave home with out doing the "Wallet, keys, phone, pipe, pouch, lighter" check. I have to say, I too use to be shy of smoking in public, but with the positive comments I received from friends when out at night, I just said f*ck it, and went all out during the day too. Nothing beats walking through Boston Common, and having a nice pipe going on a spring or fall day.

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Last night while smoking my I.M.P. Meerschaum: Large Lattice Bent Ball.I received many compliments from surrounding people wanting to know what I was smoking and what kind of pipe I had I guess many people have no idea what a meer is.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Danboston I work in Taunton it's good to know I have a fellow piper nearby. I have been thinking when my wife and I go for a walk to start taking my pipe w/me you've inspired me. My neighbors are left of Stalin so I've been quiet about my pipe smoking.

No Longer !!!

danboston

Lurker
Dec 1, 2009
Hey Brazz, good to find a neighbor on here, and rest assure I am not left of Stalin, I prefer the middle. I hope that you get out there and be pipe proud in public :) I find most people would not say anything,and mostly I get the compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.