PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Finished this one just after the holidays.
There's not much on the "Patina" grade stamp - if you have knowledge, let me know and I'll update the blog.
This only the 2nd such grade that I've seen.
Full details here at the Reborn Pipes blog:

1677636933071.png

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Al, I can tell you a little about the Patina but only a very little. It was in the middle to lower tier of Comoy’s branded models, introduced in 1973 and withdrawn in the early Eighties. There are a number of 1970s Comoy catalogs floating around and anyone who has one (I don’t) can transcribe the entire copy for you. I’m pretty sure advertisements and/or catalogs referred to the briar as “specially selected” and “aged”, and to the “reddish walnut color” stain and “attractive walnut finish” as a special selling feature (hence Patina). At least one ad labeled the pipe as “moderate in price, exceptional in looks”. In 1975 the Patina was retailing at $12.50; the price list below will show you where it ranked in the pack. Cheers, Jon

9506B1C5-FDE6-4313-969F-960AA3398F68.jpeg

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Very nice Al.

Thanks Jon... I smoked a pipe for the first time back in 1974, and I forgotten just how reasonable pipes were back then in comparison to today. The only place you could buy pipes and tobacco in the small Colorado town I lived in was the local drugstore.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Al @ssjones Wasn’t this pipe offered for sale at one time ?
Do you still have it ?

I bought a few other pipes from you at that time including some excellent Comoy’s

Mac