PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It's quite possible Hauntedmyst that you've been smoking low grade Block or pressed
Nope, all name brand stuff, CAO & SMS. It's just not a smoke I prefer though I can certainly see how many would enjoy them more than briar. One of my favorite display pipes is an SMS meer in the form of a Castle. I'll try to post a pick of it

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in Hauntedmyst's camp on this one. Meers certainly do provide an unadulterated tobacco experience, but I prefer the way briar influences the taste. On the other hand, I don't particularly care for the way corncobs influence the taste of tobacco, but I can understand why many people like them.
What I don't understand is the "chalky" sensation Haunted talks about -- but then again, I've only owned 2 meers, so my experience isn't too broad.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Hauntedmyst, I can understand your preferences, as I've encountered similar for years.

I've wondered if it's a body chemistry thing... Just as Mac Baren's Virginia blends bite me like a dog, others will have no such experience, which makes me think that the same thing might be going on with different Pipe materials. It's just a thought, as I have no way of confirming it thru research.
The Ozone treatment sounds interesting. Has anyone here had experience with it?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only thing I've heard about ozone in this context is that frequent exposure to it will degrade organic materials over time. Hence, you probably wouldn't want to make a weekly ritual of deodorizing your briars with it. I don't know how ozone would affect meerschaum; or whether ozone would eliminate the chemical odor/taste that Bob reports. My impression is that ozone is more effective on biologic and organic sources of odor.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Cortez, the Ozone Treatment looks really interesting.
The smell that I am talking about on that meer seems to come from the outside of the bowl.
I have a tendency to smell the outside of the bowl on a pipe while I am smoking it. I love the sweet smell that comes from the briar wood while it is warm and I am smoking. Out of habit, I did that once with the no-name meer and it smelled horrible. I have never smelled that odor from any other meer that I have smoked.
I have OCD (seriously) and after I smelled that smell for the first time, I could always smell it every single time I smoked that pipe since. Since I wasn't getting any pleasure from that pipe and it only costs me $10.00, I just put it away. I doubt that I will send it in for the ozone treatment since shipping and the treatment will cost more than the pipe.
Thanks for the information, I will keep the Ozone Treatment in mind in case I have a good pipe that needs to be deodorized.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
One likely source of the smell Bob could be the resins used in making pressed Block,

which is comprised of a binder and Meerschaum chips. The chips can be purchased in Turkey for about $2 a pound, which is much cheaper than good Block. Normally, the solvents used in the preparation of the Block, prior to carving will flavor the first few smokes, as well as the Beeswax, but this is a temporary thing. Contrary to popular thought, there is a break in for Meerschaums and this is the most notable event of that process. There is another factor, but it's likely not relevant here, considering the price of the Pipe. Different grades of Block Meerschaum have slight variance in their smell, most notably in the raw Sepiolite stage, prior to the waxing.

These are earthy smells, not unlike a new Clay Pipe, but most would never notice them as the other volatiles that are burning off in the break in are more obvious. The sense of smell is really a big part to enjoying a smoke...

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/BreathSmoking.html The scent of hot Briar block is pleasing and another indicator of the Block's ability to deliver a sweet smoke. It's the same with Meerschaum Block. Scent plays a big role in memory, as women have know for years and is a big reason for the billions spent yearly on perfumes.

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
Are the techniques for smoking, breaking in and cleaning meerschaums different from briar pipes?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
It all depends on who you talk to frankryan, as with everything about Pipe smoking is based on individual preferences. It all depends on what choices you make. I've made choices that are based on 'old school' thoughts and ideas about the Meerschaum experience, so it follows that I tend to promote what I prefer. There are a few things that don't give much room for choice. Sudden and extreme temperature changes will crack Meerschaum Block, so it's not a good idea to set a hot Pipe down on a marble table or walk outside in sub-zero weather with a hot Pipe. Some prefer to put as little effort as possible into keeping a Meerschaum clean. I prefer to clean the Pipe well after smoking it and I work to prevent cake formation. I choose to handle the Block as little as possible, especially when it's hot, while others handle them as they would a Briar. Earlier in this thread, I wrote information on my reasons for cleaning a Meerschaum prior to the first smoke, and how the Pipe will burn off volatiles for the first few smokes. One additional point should be presented, and that is that a Meerschaum doesn't have the same rest requirements that a Briar does. It can be smoked more frequently and for longer periods of time and still service you with a great smoke. As I've already presented a good deal of information, perhaps it would be best for me to address questions on this information, rather than just repeat it because, despite my efforts I'm not always clear in my attempts at dialogue.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've just remembered an important event, if you want your Meerschaum to color. You've got to smoke them for this to happen. I know that it sounds obvious, but it's not really brought up much in conversations about Meerschaum Pipes. They don't color if they sit on the rack.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
One additional point should be presented, and that is that a Meerschaum doesn't have the same rest requirements that a Briar does. It can be smoked more frequently and for longer periods of time and still service you with a great smoke
True dat, this thread inspired me to pull one of my meers out this weekend. I'm normally more of an English smoker but have been grooving to some bulk aros the last week or so. Since most of my pipes are dedicated to Englishes and only about 4 are for aros, I've run out of aromatic pipes. Having the meer there lets me just sit and enjoy as much as I want without the worry of over smoking my briars. I put 4 bowls through my meer in the last 24 hours and its none the worse for the wear.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well got my meer in yesterday and had my first bad pipe buy on eBay. The pipe was a completely different pipe then they showed and it was used. Smelled and looked horrible. Black marks from dirt and dust caked on the whole thing. I sent it back and getting a full refund hopefully by the end of the week. Does anyone have any suggestions on any brands I should look at? I was just planning on going to smokingpipes.com and grabbing an IMP.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
IMP Meerschaums are high grade Turkish Block and have the Briar type mortise & tenon

connectors, where the tenon is part of the bit. The bits are hand cut and I've always

had great smokes with them. They are a good industry standard and color well.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
What a wonderful source of information this forum contains. It should be put in to book form and given to every new pipe smoker! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.