Coffee: Your Favourite Bean Might Soon Get Even Better.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Ugh. Just give me a freshly dark-roasted bean of good quality and I am happy. Unfortunately, it's now almost $20/pound at one local roaster here.
Speaking of roasters, we have a good one here, and it's pretty expensive, but I have been to other coffeehouses on trips and some of them are award winning, supposed to be big deals, and almost none of them can make a decent drip coffee. It's like they design their blends for coffee drinks (lattes, macchiatos, etc) without regard to how they taste just as regular black coffee. They always end up tasting like burnt tires if you get a plain black drip, pour over, french press or any kind of Americano (regular, lungo, long black, etc). About the only place I found good black coffee on a trip was in NYC at the Italian marketplace near the Flat Iron building.

I just get the big cans of Great Value brand Columbian medium-dark from Wal-Mart. It's by no means excellent coffee, but it's better than the drip at many of the coffeehouses and roasters I have been to. My local coffeehouse has coffees that work great as plain black coffee, just too expensive.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Speaking of roasters, we have a good one here, and it's pretty expensive, but I have been to other coffeehouses on trips and some of them are award winning, supposed to be big deals, and almost none of them can make a decent drip coffee. It's like they design their blends for coffee drinks (lattes, macchiatos, etc) without regard to how they taste just as regular black coffee. They always end up tasting like burnt tires if you get a plain black drip, pour over, french press or any kind of Americano (regular, lungo, long black, etc). About the only place I found good black coffee on a trip was in NYC at the Italian marketplace near the Flat Iron building.

I just get the big cans of Great Value brand Columbian medium-dark from Wal-Mart. It's by no means excellent coffee, but it's better than the drip at many of the coffeehouses and roasters I have been to. My local coffeehouse has coffees that work great as plain black coffee, just too expensive.
I couldn't agree more. I like original Maxwell House or Waffle House coffee when I go out. All that crap people put in their coffee, they aren't enjoying the true quality of the beans anyway and much of it is over roasted to compensate.

I couldn't agree more. I like original Maxwell House or Waffle House coffee when I go out. All that crap people put in their coffee, they aren't enjoying the true quality of the beans anyway and much of it is over roasted to compensate.
People give me crap about maxwell House, but the truth is most haven't tried it for 20 or so years. There's really no difference, except that it isn't as bitter. It must still be popular, because they dedicate way more shelf space to the big coffee companies than they do they roasters at the grocers.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
People give me crap about maxwell House, but the truth is most haven't tried it for 20 or so years. There's really no difference, except that it isn't as bitter. It must still be popular, because they dedicate way more shelf space to the big coffee companies than they do they roasters at the grocers.
As far as quality goes, that's about the highest I'm willing to spend on coffee. I mean, its just coffee to me-I drink it everyday and it does the job. They make a coffee that always tastes good and is consistent. I'm sure there are better medium roasts out there, but I'd rather spend my money on quality booze and tobacco.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
As long as they don't mess with Maxwell House, I will be ok. Good to the last drop. puffy

Love the stuff in the blue can…always have some on hand. It’s an old standby that you can count on. 👍☕
1706032290109.jpeg

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Ugh. Just give me a freshly dark-roasted bean of good quality and I am happy. Unfortunately, it's now almost $20/pound at one local roaster here.
Same. I am not very picky and typically buy a kilo of one Lavazza or another for around $20 or so. I feel like the local roasters all think their beans are worth twice that. Nope.

Reactions: David D. Davidson
Jul 12, 2011
100% Arabica bean ( I buy 5lb at a time / drops to under $10/lb ) + French Press and I'm off to the races

My favorite is Mayorga Dark Roast Coffee - Café Cubano Coffee Roast - 100% Arabica Whole Coffee Beans ~ Smooth as silk, "0" bitterness, rich oily bean bdw ~ always drink with just a splash of milk+sugar

Last edited:

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Funny, around the holidays I was thinking about if there was anything in history that scientists have tinkered with that resulted in a better end product than before they got their hands on it.

Well, here I am on the cusp of February, and I can't recall a single one.

And by better, I don't mean putting a goddamn QR code on everything in sight.

Leave my Yirgacheffe alone, you parasitic meddlers you! [shakes fist violently]

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
I'm a massive fan of light roasts, I dunno why, but I tried one once and go searching for them!

Too be fair, I'm not going to pay an arm / leg for it, but I much prefer light roasts to darker ones.

Reactions: dPero