PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm a simpleton when it comes to coffee. It's really just a vessel for caffeine and I'm a caffeine junkie. Like my women, I don't discriminate. Cold, thick, and bitter is fine by me.

Normally, I buy pre-ground coffee. Chock Full of Nuts comes in a large tin canister, is cheaper, doesn't need preparation, and gets the job done.

However, I ended up with a few bags of whole beans and don't want to waste them. The nicer grinder we had in storage was broken (although I may be the reason we can't have nice things, I didn't do it this time - seriously) and I'm in no rush to pay what I'm told is $100-$150 to replace it.

Any recommendations for a decent coffee grinder that isn't high end? Knowing myself, unless the difference of grinding my own beans is leaps above pre-ground (making it worth the additional cost, time, annoyance, and frustration), this will be a one and done purchase that goes back to storage (where I get blamed for breaking it once it emerges again from hibernation after 7 years).

Suggestions from the think-tank are appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: El Capitán

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Any blade grinder for less than $30 at Target. If you are looking for burr grinder, sky is the limit. Decent burr grinder coffee snob wants seems to go $400 or higher. One built in my espresso machine does everything I want, but most says it sucks. Finding out most of what they complain about doesn't seem to be the issue. I guess it's just cheap for their taste.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I vote for the yard sale.

That said, I’ve been grinding my own since 1982, and if you buy fresh beans (or roast them yourself) the flavor difference is akin to smoking McClellands instead of Ralph’s Fairly Good RYO.

My current grinder, which I’m happy with, although I had to add a timer switch:

Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (Black) Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/0ThWJ7Z

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
A Kaffe burr grinder is $40 on Amazon.

It has almost 20,000 ratings and still has a 4.3 (out of 5) star overall rating.

Personally I like the Cuisinart model but it's $20 more.

Either of these plus a decent French press will get you some of the best coffee possible.

Anything more than that is bs snobbery.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A Kaffe burr grinder is $40 on Amazon.

It has almost 20,000 ratings and still has a 4.3 (out of 5) star overall rating.

Personally I like the Cuisinart model but it's $20 more.

Either of these plus a decent French press will get you some of the best coffee possible.

Anything more than that is bs snobbery.
The difference between an inexpensive grinder and pricer one can be more than snobbery. I’ve owned several cheap burr grinders, although not the one you recommended, and my observations are that the model I bought produces a more consistent grind. Much less dust, to be specific. That makes a significant difference, since the dust is what clogs coffee filters and also contributes to bitterness, IMHO.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The difference between an inexpensive grinder and pricer one can be more than snobbery. I’ve owned several cheap burr grinders, although not the one you recommended, and my observations are that the model I bought produces a more consistent grind. Much less dust, to be specific. That makes a significant difference, since the dust is what clogs coffee filters and also contributes to bitterness, IMHO.

I would have to agree with Dan. Sometimes you get what you pay for—a good, consistent grind from a high quality grinder probably makes a bigger difference than the brewing method. Although not cheap, a Rocky Rancilio delivers the goods. There are better grinders specifically for espresso, but a Rocky works well for every kind of grind and is money well spent. It's a workhorse and will deliver for years to come.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I would tend to agree if I drank enough and cared enough about coffee. Then I would pony up for the Baratza but at more than double the price I can't given my coffee habits at the moment. (Most of my coffee is K-cup stuff. )

I've had my Cuisinart for aver 15 years and have been very happy with it. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in getting into whole bean. Save the money and spend more on better beans. (Unclebeanz or Stumptown are excellent sources. )

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would tend to agree if I drank enough and cared enough about coffee. Then I would pony up for the Baratza but at more than double the price I can't given my coffee habits at the moment. (Most of my coffee is K-cup stuff. )

I've had my Cuisinart for aver 15 years and have been very happy with it. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in getting into whole bean. Save the money and spend more on better beans. (Unclebeanz or Stumptown are excellent sources. )
I’ve really liked some of the k-cup coffee I’ve had.

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
I buy the cheap 10$ blade grinders, everyone says I need a burr grinder but the cheap blade style ends up making the same damn thing as far as I'm concerned and when I used to smoke weed it would grind my weed just fine too. Also as far as making the coffee goes I like those melita pour over funnels, my towns got really hard water and it tends to destroy coffee makers so I boil a kettle on the stove and then use the pourover with a permanent filter.

Reactions: UB 40 and jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not that there aren't good grinders. I can tell the taste of good coffee now. I know how to tell a good grinder from bad one. But! I'm cheap, and I know the good and bad coffees aren't that far off from each other. Would I spend the coins for that slight a difference? Heck no. For drip brew, blade grinder and Mr Coffee gives just a fine cup. If you start going into a rabbit hole, there are hand grinders that's less expensive, but gives super results. And they are not the ones from 90's.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon