PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
For years, and I mean since perhaps 2004, I've had trouble with FVF. Mostly, trying to rub it out to get a good burn. I currently have a jar from 2008 opened and, same problem. FVF just isn't very easy to rub out, in my experience.
This morning, I pulled out an old electric coffee bean grinder which I thought might come in handy for flakes but, never got a round to trying. I put a sufficient amount of flake, which has a perfect moisture for smoking, and hit it a few times with the grinder. I now have something akin to the cut of McClelland #25, which, is very easy to deal with (impossible to obtain, but easy to smoke). I am a happy, happy man.
I also opened a jar of 2004 Bob's Chocolate Flake. Less dry and generally easier to deal with, despite the base being FVF . Never could figure that out. Works well for that blend as well. What took me so long? Lol.
Mike S.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I rub it out with my hands or if I am lazy I will use a weed grinder
Don't know how accepted my long haired hippiedom is here, but I do the same thing. I have an older cheap "herb" grinder that I boiled all the kief out of specifically so I could use it to deal with thicker, meatier flakes like FVF. It works surprisingly well to get the strands shorter and more pliable.

FWIW, this type of grinder can be had at most bodegas, gas stations, and all head shops.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

John C.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2020
Rhode Island
For years, and I mean since perhaps 2004, I've had trouble with FVF. Mostly, trying to rub it out to get a good burn. I currently have a jar from 2008 opened and, same problem. FVF just isn't very easy to rub out, in my experience.
This morning, I pulled out an old electric coffee bean grinder which I thought might come in handy for flakes but, never got a round to trying. I put a sufficient amount of flake, which has a perfect moisture for smoking, and hit it a few times with the grinder. I now have something akin to the cut of McClelland #25, which, is very easy to deal with (impossible to obtain, but easy to smoke). I am a happy, happy man.
I also opened a jar of 2004 Bob's Chocolate Flake. Less dry and generally easier to deal with, despite the base being FVF . Never could figure that out. Works well for that blend as well. What took me so long? Lol.
Mike S.
Good idea. I've thought about doing this also. Did you go by eye or did you pulse the grinder a number of times?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I don't smoke this blend, that said, I've always been amazed at what pipe smokers will do to smoke tobacco. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing this at all, pretty ingenious actually, but if I had tobacco that I couldn't just stuff into my pipe and smoke (possibly having to cut it off a plug first is reasonable), I would likely just not continue to purchase that blend...way way too much trouble for me.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I don't smoke this blend, that said, I've always been amazed at what pipe smokers will do to smoke tobacco. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing this at all, pretty ingenious actually, but if I had tobacco that I couldn't just stuff into my pipe and smoke (possibly having to cut it off a plug first is reasonable), I would likely just not continue to purchase that blend...way way too much trouble for me.

For some, totally. But I can also appreciate how others enjoy the whole process and a bit of complexity making the process more enjoyable.

But, this is coming from someone who abhors a Keurig and who spends 10-15 minutes a morning grinding and weighing beans, weighing water, heating to certain temps, etc. I thoroughly enjoy the process and extra steps actually make the end result more enjoyable for me.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
For some, totally. But I can also appreciate how others enjoy the whole process and a bit of complexity making the process more enjoyable.

But, this is coming from someone who abhors a Keurig and who spends 10-15 minutes a morning grinding and weighing beans, weighing water, heating to certain temps, etc. I thoroughly enjoy the process and extra steps actually make the end result more enjoyable for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.