PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I bought a few oz of C&D's "Espresso" to try and was pretty underwhelmed. The description reads:
Take an all black mixture of unsweetened black Cavendish and a bit of #734 Green River Vanilla. Then flavor it with proprietary “cream” flavoring and add a heady shot of coffee flavor, to arrive at a blend that will take you back to that *perfect* espresso macchiato you enjoyed with a friend, at a certain Italian street café!
Great. But, upon opening the (bulk) bag I get a nose full of the "cream," more cream, and a disgustingly sweet aroma. Like inhaling lines of confectioner's sugar. Where's the coffee?!? I swear they left out the heady shot of coffee and threw in another pitcher of cream!
I am not a huge aromatic conossieur, but it sounded good. Coffee infused cigars are the one kind of flavored stick I occasionally enjoy so when I saw the pipe tobacco I thought "why not." Yeah, I can just drink coffee withmy pipe (I do) but a coffee aro sounded like it could be a winner.
Has anyone ever seen a coffee flavored aromatic that was any good? Or maybe had better luck with C&D's blend? Ever tried to infuse your own tobacco with a coffee flavor or top? Coffee and tobacco are just so good together, yet this is really the first aro I have found that combines the two.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
There's one called Esspressotabak, by Vauen. Haven't tried it personally though! It is in stock now at Smoking Pipes. Good luck!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy C&D Espresso.
Actually, I just checked the C&D site. The picture of the Espresso blend is an all black blend. What I have from a couple years ago, is a mixture of several black, brown and gold tobacco. I am wondering if they changed the blend or if the picture is incorrect.
Winton

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Winton, the tobacco I received is exactly like the pic. All jet black. Maybe they messed up the blend?? I swear there is zero note of coffee at all.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Gray,
Sorry you don't like the blend. I still have lots left of what I enjoy. I wish you luck in finding something else that you do enjoy.
Winton

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I highly recommend "Mocha Black," McClelland's Bulk Blend #620. It's another of those rich blends that can make you forget it's an aromatic, delivering a very satisfying smoke every time. Next to my lat blends, it's my favourite.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I had to checkout your suggestion of McClelland's Mocha Black since i am always trying different tobaccos. This is their discription; McClelland's newest Black Cavendish, rich with coffee extract and dark chocolate. You can almost taste the Chicory in this hearty coffee blend. It has a delicious flavor, not too sweet, and is a very satisfying smoke. Also a good blender, this is the dark companion to our very successful #710 Columbian Mocha.
My personal taste is for Coffee and Chicory. Especially, RT Coffee & Chicory. The day just doesn't start the same for me without it. So, I'll have to give it a try with my next tobbaco order.
Thanks for the tip.

Dec 24, 2012
LJ Peretti makes one, called the Coffee Blend. I haven't tried it - I prefer my coffee in a cup.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/873/peretti-coffee-blend

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I haven't tried it - I prefer my coffee in a cup.
Preach on, Peck. Given my current occupation, fanatic nature and general snobbishness, coffee flavoured tobacco is a sea best unsailed by me.
-- Pat

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Thanks guys, I will the espresso another try and look into a couple others.. Peck, nothing goes better with coffee in a cup than more coffee in your pipe! Lol! It's a nice change of pace sometimes.

This last summer I went through about four of these recommended blends. Some just don't smell like coffee at all after you light it. And on some, if you smoke very slowly, you can get a little coffee aroma, but I found that if any coffee flavor came through at all, it wasn't exactly a pleasant coffee aroma. More like an elderly coffee drinker fart. I heard many complaints that it smelled like an old man's bathroom, with hints of rotted newspapers mingling with the stale coffee and cigarette smell.

I couldn't smell it while smoking, but as I walked out of the room and returned, the room did remind me of my grandad's old truck. I threw it all away. I'll just have mine in a cup and not a bowl also.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Given my current occupation, fanatic nature and general snobbishness, coffee flavoured tobacco is a sea best unsailed by me.
Given your plan to properly introduce me to spirits outside my comfort zone I'm going to make sure I get a bowl of this into you sir! Expand your horizons my friend who knows it could end up being your new fav!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
This last summer I went through about four of these recommended blends. Some just don't smell like coffee at all after you light it. And on some, if you smoke very slowly, you can get a little coffee aroma

what about tin note? That is the strange part to me concerning espresso... No coffee before or after the light. It's just not there.
Stale coffee and cigarettes along with old fart do not sound appealing.... Maybe one more try before I give up on it. Lol!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
My thought was to take some coffee beans, split them up a little bit, and put them in a jar for a few months with an English blend. Then, take out the beans and smoke it.
This is probably at least as bad as the idea that I had to take some latakia leaves and throw them into a French press with the coffee grounds.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
The method I had heard (for cigars) was just to take an empty coffee bag that had been filled with whole beans, put the cigars inside, and put that in a ziplock bag/ container or whatever. The idea was that the oils that clung to the coffee bag would add a little coffee note to the tobacco. Whole beans instead of ground so you don't get coffee dust all over everything.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I'm a big fan of Peretti's Coffee blend. The coffee flavoring is relatively subtle and the base tobaccos are of extremely high quality. Smokes beautifully with a marvelous room note.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
" Expand your horizons my friend who knows it could end up being your new fav! "
Good advice BR.
Exactly why there are so many flavors of ice cream. Life would be boring if there were only Vanilla.
Call me a pipe tobacco slut because I smoke around quite a bit :D From aromatics to Orientals and from Balkens to Perique.
BTW, my favorite ice cream is coffee flavored. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since most coffee drinkers have a special way they like it brewed, I think it would be difficult to

approximate a good coffee flavor in tobacco. (Great coffee ice cream is rare, though, for me, it exists,

at Snowflake on Long Island.)

Status
Not open for further replies.