PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Cobs are great and could be my only pipes for their wonderful functionality.

That being said...

At home relaxing, I enjoy the feel and characteristics of my briars most often. When I'm sitting outside in thew wind, driving, camping, fishing, etc... I prefer a cob. Great smokers that don't demand too much attention.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Numbernine, if you get a cob make sure they teach you the secret handshake. It matters, otherwise it'll smoke like a briar.

Now you've done it. Remember: The first rule of CobClub is, Don't talk about CobClub

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have dropped several briars while fishing and as my bad luck would have it they show the marks to this day.
Lucky you didn't drop it in a seaway while trolling! You still have the bloody pipes! :)
Many "answers" to your intriguing question, and I will guess it's cultish to perhaps a dozen of our denizens. I have some briars, but just don't smoke them much.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Then I'm reminded of the thread title ...
I like both cobs and briars. Gee, original ... :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Then what about I like cobs, briars, meerschaums, mortas, porcelains, clays, calabashes, and stones? :mrgreen:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was a bit late in coming to appreciate the cob pipe. Having smoked nothing but briar (very occasionally a meer) for over a year I recently invested in a MM Mark Twain cob from Mysmokingshop.com. At around £12.50 I think I got one heck of a bargain pipe.
Granted, it does impart a certain sweetness to most blends I pack it with, but in no way does that affect my enjoyment of the smoke. My only minor complaint would be that it looks rather anaemic but I'm reliably informed that it will darken over time.
I would just say go out and buy one...you will be glad you did :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
love cobs, some blends do tend to taste better, I smoke autumn evening and it is much more sweeter!! I do take out the filter though.

numbernine

Lurker
Dec 26, 2016
Because of your stellar support of cobs i bought a MM Mizzou bent, a pouch of PA and one of CH a box of filters. It was different, smooth no bite with the virgin maze and i may like this. It's light weight and if i drop it or knock it out of my mouth i'm not out serious money.
The stems are a little weak but replacements are on the way from SP. I figure when it's broke in it will deliver even more flavor. I sampled some apple pie with some Scottys Bass Pond and the two flavors are great.
Wash your hands before you shake mine please.
Sixten

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
After you have tried the "regular" cobs, look at the MM web site. Call MM Company, pick out a bowl style, a shank, and the type stem you would like, they will custom make up one for you.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Cobs.. you don't have to worry about them, can light them with your cigar torch lighter & if you burn the rim it doesn't matter, smokes good, can knock them on anything you want to. Just smoke them wherever & whenever you don't have to worry about "Pipe etiquette"

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
The real difference between a cob and a briar,nobody cares if you piss on a cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.