PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I love this. I love my cobs, but the added sweetness to a tobacco is sometimes off-putting to me. I prefer briar, but I love the look of a cob. I'd like to own something like this some day. Great work!

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
Someone on another board suggested I put a white dot on the stem. I kind of liked the idea but doing so would be putting another logo on my work. So I picked up some 2.5mm dots of abalone and inlayed that on the stem. I like the look so much I am thinking of applying this little bit of sea creature to all my pipes. Any thoughts?
cobdot.jpg

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I love the pipe as I am a big MM fan and the dot is understated and classy.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Just my opinion...
I love abalone on black - abalone inlays on an ebony guitar fretboard are so rich-looking. That said, part of the appeal of your "cobriar" is the rustic, simple nature of it. I think the abalone dot would be "gilding the lily", and a touch out of place. Again, IMO. :)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
"Snob Cob" is a great name for a nice looking pipe!
I put up the winning bid on what appears to be a briar/cob look alike. There was only one picture supplied with very little in the way of description but had the frequent eBay disclaimer, "I know nothing about pipes....". I was willing to gamble $9.99 on it. Even if it's not junk, It won't have the class of the Snob Cob!

bakaster

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
I agree with grouchydog. Ab inlay on black is a beautiful thing. In this case I think it works particularly nicely adding some blue and green to the wood's natural hint of red.
Stem work looks great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.