PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Would unfinished cob pipe result in better smoking experience?

Does it allow pipe to breeze better?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'll be watching this thread, as I've never owned a naked cob. I just plain don't like the way they look. They also seem like they are tougher with the plaster finish, and would last longer.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like how the unfinished ones smoke, actually prefer them, plus I've never had the kernels separate on an unfinished one the way I have on the finished ones.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
That's a good question Ben88 and I would like to state my humble opinion since I own and smoke both types:
2015-09-29-185436-600x450.jpg

From left to right:
1 - Country Gentleman

2 - Diplomat 5th Ave

3 - Morgan XL Natural

4 - Morgan Natural
Let's start with better smoking experience. Out of 4, Country Gentleman smokes best. It has a big chamber, thick wall and wide shank. I smoke only English blends in my CG, Virginia in my Diplomat 5th Ave (Royal Racht smokes great in this one). I use my Morgan Natural nosewarmer for Aromatic blends (actually used to use) and Morgan XL Natural for lightly cased Virginia and VaPer blends. The best thing about the Naturals is they don't get hot as fast as other cobs since they have more surface area.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I will be dam...ed, never thought that Naturals wont get so hot.

In general I dont like that finish hence sticking with the polished ones :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I should imagine the 'naked' cobs would collect dirt from handling over time much more that a varnished one would.
As for breathability, in my opinion that is all myth. Give an 'expert' two cobs in a blind smoke and see if he can tell which is 'naked' and which isn't.
Regards,
Jay.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I should imagine the 'naked' cobs would collect dirt from handling over time much more that a varnished one would.
Unfortunately, that's right.
As for breathability, in my opinion that is all myth.
Jay, nobody (at least me) said that unfinished cobs breath. They have more surface area so they lose the heat faster (like radiators).

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You can clean them out with a toothbrush just like you would a deep sandblast.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
As for breathability, in my opinion that is all myth.
With briar, that is true, but cobs are a different story. Look how fissures develop in a finished cob over time.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Duane, I am not disputing that they develop cracks and fissures, of course they do, my point was that I doubt very much if a smoker could tell if the pipe had 'breathability'.
Of course if there's a stonking great crack in the bowl then yes they would, but with a pipe in good condition not so.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Ah, but here's the thing, I've never had an unfinished one develop the fissures even after years of service.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, you might be right, I totally misunderstood the word 'breeze'."
No worries Javan, it's just another example of folks not proofreading their posts afore hitting the 'send' button. So many misunderstandings are due to folks not taking care of what they write.
Ben, you get to wear a hair shirt for a whole week :wink:
On the subject of cobs, I'm thinking of asking my tobacco enabler to see if he might source one of these here bags of MM seconds...they seem to be a great deal.
Regards,
Jay.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You guys just made me want a cob. I got a call from my tobacconist to-day that my new Brigham arrived: I might as well grab a cob whilst I'm picking up my order, why not? :)
Do you disinfect cobs just like the briar ones?

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I usually sterilize the stem with alcohol as usual. Also wiping out the exterior with alcohol soaked cloth.

This gives me a sterilized feel :)
Have a good look inside the mortise and the bowl as quite often there are small wooden particles left inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.