PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
ok over the weekend i got some awsome cobs and i want to make sure i get years of service out of them i read some where a cob does not need a cake and on my old MMs the cake is so thick i can not touch the bottom with my pinky
what i really want to know what is the best way to keep my cobs smoking for years

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I use the blade on my pipe tools to keep them scraped.

Then screw in a paper towel... For me it works best if I do so when they are warm.

DSC00449.jpg

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
so i will need to do this after every bowl? i smoke my cobs all day they might get a couple of pipe clearers through the every other bowl shoot my cob for Bow-legged Bear the hole in the bottom of the pipe to the stem is only as large as a pipe cleaner i eneded up using a 16 penny nail last week to open it up a bit

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No, not after every bowl.

Just when you think it needs it.

I don't think I would recommend an alcohol-salt treatment, just a good cleaning when it needs it.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
jiffy mix in a cast iron frying pan is :lol:
so back on topic should i keep a thin cake on the side walls or keep it reamed out to the original size ?

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
pawpaw, if you read my Corncob Primer, you'll learn more than you ever imagined. It even offers differing opinions. I happen to feel that it's not wise to allow cake to build in cobs.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

Status
Not open for further replies.