PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Lady-like Gentlemen, turn back now.

Am I an anatomical anomaly, or does anyone else have a hard time clenching for more than a minute or so without needing to remove your pipe and do something with the pool of drool that accumulates in your mouth, around the bit, threatening to leak out?

I want so bad to be able to clench all day, in hands-free, codgeresque bliss. But between a random gag reflex, and the over-production of saliva when clenching, I feel as if I'll never be a true codger. ☹️

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Kinda funny actually - for the past 8 years (as long as I've been smoking a pipe) I was on a medication that gave me a dry mouth.
A couple months ago i came off that drug and my saliva production is back to normal.
So for the first time ever im experiencing saliva buildup in the corner of my mouth on the side I clench.
It's especially chronic with bent pipes.

It's been blowing my mind. At first I thought it was a certain pipe but I quickly realized what was really going on.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It comes and goes. When I'm not doing much and just smoking, watching the clouds roll by, I don't drool. When I'm preoccupied with something, or trying to look up something, I notice I'm drooling like an idiot. And I don't smoke pipe as often, I catch myself drooling more often. Must be something to do with saliva gland and putting pressure around the stem.

Reactions: nathaniel

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Good luck.
I'm a wet smoker too, it hasn't changed and doesn't seem it will stop at any point. I just don't clench. Even having an unlit pipe in the mouth during walks was a messy experience, had to rest it for several days after. 😆
My dentist said it was normal to drool. Some salivate more than others.

• Haha
Reactions: nathaniel

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It used to be a real problem for me early on when I used to puff like a freight train. When I stopped puffing, the drooling dropped way off.

If you find it continues to be a problem, you could also try Falcon filters if you have a filter pipe. They are the only filters I don't mind using because I find they have very little affect on the draw if it's a fast burning blend...they mostly just absorb moisture.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
i feel the struggle dude! This is why there is the term 'wet-smoker'. Just accept the fact that you have to take the pipe out occasionally to swallow. If you try to do it with the pipe in your mouth you will blow ash bubbles out or swallow a load of smoke. Not swallowing leads to drool, and that is not at all cool with a beard....I have been told 🙄. I have come to the realization that adjusting the pipe while you swallow is much cooler than the alternative options.

You are not alone my friend.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lady-like Gentlemen, turn back now.

Am I an anatomical anomaly, or does anyone else have a hard time clenching for more than a minute or so without needing to remove your pipe and do something with the pool of drool that accumulates in your mouth, around the bit, threatening to leak out?

I want so bad to be able to clench all day, in hands-free, codgeresque bliss. But between a random gag reflex, and the over-production of saliva when clenching, I feel as if I'll never be a true codger. ☹️
Sorry, I'm physically laughing trying to picture someone trying to smoke while drooling and gagging.

I do drool when smoking, but only when the cadence is going well. I also have a terrible gag reflex, but it only affects me during dental X-rays.

In my meerschaum, I tell myself that the drool helps the coloring.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I tend to drool on myself regardless but having a pipe in my mouth doesn't help. I generally only clench a pipe for 30 to 60 seconds at a time when I need both hands for something. Otherwise I mostly sip on it. More to do with teeth alignment I think.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It used to be a real problem for me early on when I used to puff like a freight train. When I stopped puffing, the drooling dropped way off.

If you find it continues to be a problem, you could also try Falcon filters if you have a filter pipe. They are the only filters I don't mind using because I find they have very little affect on the draw if it's a fast burning blend...they mostly just absorb moisture.
I’m still a drooling like a baby at times but I also find that it’s when I’m smoking the hottest which. When I slow down my drool goes down to that of an inattentive toddler.