PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I have a couple of pipes w/ see thru stems (acrylic)I think like my cob.

How do I get the stems clean and brite.I tried some Crown Royal w/ my pipe cleaners,it did'nt do much. Thank You for any input.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
brazz,

I heard that alcohols and harsh stuff like bleach will craze the acrylic and ruin it's appearance. You might try drugstore grade hydrogen peroxide as that has gentle bleaching properties (and is non-toxic.) Spot-test it first. I think you would have to leave a soaked pipe cleaner in the stem overnight, at least. Also, keep it in the dark since H2O2 degrades in ordinary light. That's my 2¢ worth. Good luck.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Brazz,
I have an older GBD Prehistoric with a clear perspex? stem. I used plain rubbing alchohol, and several pipe cleaners, and it cleaned right up. Of course the hole through the stem started turning brown again after half a dozen smokes or so.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the posts guys. I didn't have a chance to try either yet.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Using cleaners - polishers like Plexus or other automotive cleaners designed for plastic motorcycle screens should work well on clear stems since they are designed to clean and polish wihtout fogging. I use it on my black acrylic stems and it works great.

vkimp

Lurker
Feb 1, 2010
Well I use the old way. Clean good with sope and water. Once you get the way you want it to look rub it with a candel. Then keep rbing with a soft cloth. when you think you are done, rub it some more. The wax gets down in the grain and stay thetr ( yes even plastis gas a grain). But if you dont want to do all that work car wax works but it has a little tast!!

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
i've read that tooth paste works well with polishing pipe stems havent tried it though i have tried the 100 proof grain alchohol and rock salt works great put some rock salt in a bottle and add everclear alchohol then use a pipe cleaner also can put rock salt and ever clear in pipe bowl will clean out impurative's and make a sweeter pipe but ya need to get out all the salt also . hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.