PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Capone

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
North Carolina
How many of you use cotton balls instead of salt to sanitize your pipes? I have used salt in the past however I have seen several people using cotton balls. So I decided to give it a try. What is your favorite method?

Attachments

• IMG_4505.jpeg
    IMG_4505.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 6
I don't regularly use alcohol in my pipes. I mean... I never use alcohol in my pipes, except on estate pipes that have an obvious problem.
I've read/heard that alcohol can deplete the briar of oils, making it at more risk of burn out. I have no idea whether that's true. I just rinse mine with water on as regular a schedule as I can. Sometimes, I still have to cut back the cake, but I don't need to soak them in alcohol once I've started smoking them.

But, it sounds like you have a plan. Have fun.

Reactions: Capone

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I soak the cotton balls in Woods’s Old Navy Rum. After cleaning out the chamber & shank (mortise) I’ll leave the balls in for 2-3 days. Leaves a lovely tasting ghost!

Capone

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
North Carolina
I don't regularly use alcohol in my pipes. I mean... I never use alcohol in my pipes, except on estate pipes that have an obvious problem.
I've read/heard that alcohol can deplete the briar of oils, making it at more risk of burn out. I have no idea whether that's true. I just rinse mine with water on as regular a schedule as I can. Sometimes, I still have to cut back the cake, but I don't need to soak them in alcohol once I've started smoking them.

But, it sounds like you have a plan. Have fun.
I'm using Everclear 151 instead of rubbing alcohol. I buy a lot of estate pipes so I clean them before I use them.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Capone

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
North Carolina
Ok, cool, if I had known that you were precleaning estates, I would have spared you my who schpeill, sorry.
It's funny, you don't hear of guys using retorts anymore. They were all the rage back when I first came to the forum.
School me on the retort process! I'm all about learning how things are done.

• Haha
Reactions: Capone