PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Seeing that first photo in colour really illustrates that it wasn't that long ago
When I think how some who fought in that war were still alive when my father was born, yeah. Not that long ago. In fact the last civil war veteran died in 1956, only 18 years before I was born. Some of our members here might have had conversations with a civil war veteran when they were young. And to think some of those Civil War veterans knew veterans from the Revolutionary War really throws you. The last World War 1 veteran died just 5 years ago. There are still approximately 600,000 American WWII vets alive today. So if you know one, or meet one, be sure to tell them thank you. These people, all of them, are part of history, and history just keeps flying faster and faster. More things happening in short amounts of time. 100 years ago the horse and buggy were quickly being replaced by early automobiles, but were still being used. It's mind boggling!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
03882a_enlarge.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There are still approximately 600,000 American WWII vets alive today. So if you know one, or meet one, be sure to tell them thank you. These people, all of them, are part of history, and history just keeps flying faster and faster."
I read a very shocking statistic yesterday, every four seconds an American Vet (from any era) commits suicide!
A truly dreadful figure.
Regards,
Jay.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dreadful, but also grossly implausible.
One suicide ever 4 seconds equates to 21,600 each day, or 151,200 per week, or 7,862,400 annually.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Dreadful, but also grossly implausible.
One suicide ever 4 seconds equates to 21,600 each day, or 151,200 per week, or 7,862,400 annually."

Jguss, you are quite correct, my error. I just checked, it is apparently one suicide every hour. Still a shocking statistic.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.