PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm traveling to Cincinnati tomorrow for a few days. I thought there was a good shop there called called Carousel. But it appears to be closed.

I travel thru Columbus, coming from Maryland. Are there are places worth a stop or evening visit?

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I can’t recommend a cigar shop, but The Book Loft in the German village of Columbus is an experience. 30+ rooms PACKED with books. If you enjoy bourbon, jump across the river into KY while you are in Cincinnati . New Riff has a nice little distillery there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can’t recommend a cigar shop, but The Book Loft in the German village of Columbus is an experience. 30+ rooms PACKED with books. If you enjoy bourbon, jump across the river into KY while you are in Cincinnati . New Riff has a nice little distillery there.
I've done some of the Bourbon trail, on previous visits.

Barclay's in Columbus looks promising, as does Pipes & Pleasures.

Reactions: Monssen13

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I've done some of the Bourbon trail, on previous visits.

Barclay's in Columbus looks promising, as does Pipes & Pleasures.
Both Barclays locations are good. The Dublin Tenderbox is good. I would personally pass on pipes and pleasure. Last time I was there they had maybe 6 jars of bulk tobacco. No tins. In Cincinnati I would suggest a trip to Jungle Jim’s. Good tobacco selection not to mention a huge international grocery store that you could spend a day going through. If your close to Dayton the Warf is a great place.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'm traveling to Cincinnati tomorrow for a few days. I thought there was a good shop there called called Carousel. But it appears to be closed.

I travel thru Columbus, coming from Maryland. Are there are places worth a stop or evening visit?
Also, Premal Cheda's shop, home of Smoker's Haven & Buckeye Pipes, is located in Dublin, just outside Columbus. If you contact him, he can accommodate visitors.

How far north are you traveling? Are you turning east on 70 or going further up 71?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I third Strauss. I've been to Florence a lot more than Walnut St, but I come from the opposite direction.
I'm not sure that I'll be able to get downtown before they close. I stayed in the Florence area for a few weeks earlier this year, no clue there was a option there (but working non-stop, so recreation not much in the picture)

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Also, Premal Cheda's shop, home of Smoker's Haven & Buckeye Pipes, is located in Dublin, just outside Columbus. If you contact him, he can accommodate visitors.

How far north are you traveling? Are you turning east on 70 or going further up 71?
That's pretty far North,off 70 but that is a possibility! I somehow thought he was in Toledo.

If I have to make a time choice today traveling past Columbus - is it Barclays or Smokers Haven?

I'm heading directly across 70, staying in Cincinnati North/Forest Park tonight, working in Cleves Ohio tomorrow. Might have some free time tomorrow night for Strauss

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As @Jbrewer2002 said, I second a trip to Jungle Jim's. I've actually picked up some good tins there for cheap. But the Olive bar is my favorite part of JJ's. They have an outstanding wine, beer, and spirit selection.
They are open until 10, that sound like a good possibility! They're on the wrong side of Cincy, but I can make it work.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
They are open until 10, that sound like a good possibility! They're on the wrong side of Cincy, but I can make it work.
There are two locations. If your in Forest Park then the original location will be close in Fairfield. P.S. Forest park it not a great area 😞. If your into really good 🌮 then look up Tortilla Garcia.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Do they have a smoking lounge?
They don’t. The best smoking lounge would be House of Cigars. It not far from Forest Park either. There mainly cigars but do cary a decent amount of pipe tobacco. The place is a bit unorganized and messy but decent lounge.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, a bust at Smoker's Haven/Cheddar Pipes. Google says they shld be open, but locked up tight. There's a Barclay's nearby, I'll try that. Do I have the wrong address?
20231101_144157.jpg