PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Interesting idea, but I would probably pass on it. However if you want a cigar-like taste in a pipe tobacco you should try C&D Davinci. Very heavy on the Latakia and tastes a little like a cigar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
if you want a cigar-like taste in a pipe tobacco you should try C&D Davinci.
... and if you want a pipe-like taste in a cigar you need to try the AJ Fernandez Spectre.
The Latakia is superbly blended in and enhances all the other flavors quite nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone tried McClelland Tinned Dominican Glory or Tinned Dominican Glory Madaro (cakes)? This is a blend with

cigar leaf. I haven't tried it. I will give McClelland high marks for its beautiful orange with gold decoration tin.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Why can't we just let cigars be cigars, and let pipes do what they do. If you want a cigar taste smoke a cigar.
I kind of relate it that birthday cake flavored ice cream you can get at specialty ice cream shops. Sure it tastes like cake, but if I wanted cake, how about I just eat piece of cake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point, derfargin. I guess it's a case of wanting your cigar and to pipe smoke it too, as in wanting your

cake and eating it too. At least I have McClellands tobacco blenders interested enough in this concept to

want to come up with something using cigar tobacco. But your point is well taken, if you want a good cigar,

buy a good cigar. Though this might not prevent me from spending eight bucks on a small tin of Dominican

Glory. I guess the idea of enjoying a bit of the cigar taste without spending eight bucks on one lonely cigar,

as it often is, has its attraction. If Dominican Glory is at all tasty, it would be eight dollars and change for

fifteen or twenty smokes or so.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Why can't we just let cigars be cigars, and let pipes do what they do
The same analogy should be used for all humans ... it would be a better world. :)
I've tried a couple of blends with cigar leaf and they did not taste like a cigar.

The Maduro leaf does, however, impart a creaminess and extra body to the smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cobguy, that sounds tasty. Thanks for disabusing me of the notion that I'd be puffing a stogy through

my pipe. When I used to enjoy Cubans when I was in Canada on business, I decided -- at least at the

same price -- I preferred Dominicans. They smoked just a little sweeter and more mellow. The Cubans

I tried came on a little harsh.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Has anyone tried McClelland Tinned Dominican Glory or Tinned Dominican Glory Madaro (cakes)? This is a blend with

cigar leaf. I haven't tried it. I will give McClelland high marks for its beautiful orange with gold decoration tin
The Maduro is one of my favorite smokes, I have a tin of the DG but haven't tried it yet. It's more a top notch Va blend than a cigar tasting blend. For cigar blends I like Billy Budd with roughly a year of age on it, it really mellows it out into a great smoke, and Habana daydream I'm really impressed with also. But you can't go wrong with DMG. Key Largo by G.L. Pease is another cigar blend people really seem to like. The first time I tried DMG it had a good amount of age on it (probably 8 years at least) as my tobacconist popped some tins that weren't selling and sold them in bulk, I fell in love with it, but the newer tins I've gotten don't have that same experience. But it's still a great smoke.
When I used to enjoy Cubans when I was in Canada on business, I decided -- at least at the

same price -- I preferred Dominicans. They smoked just a little sweeter and more mellow. The Cubans

I tried came on a little harsh.
Yeah a decent Cuban in Canada is around 20$ starting range, so unless you're buying good cubans I'm sure a 10$ Dominican or Honduran or Nicaraguan is going to be better anyday. The Chinese mom and pop store around where I used to live sold cuban stogies for 5$, like huge ones, just because a cigar is a cuban doesn't mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.