PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Most pipe smokers do not smoke the dottle in a pipe, it would make no sense to use a pipe to smoke the dottle of a cigar! The flavor is simply not nearly as good as it once was and it is time to put it to rest.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Most pipe smokers do not smoke the dottle in a pipe..."
Really?! I've never met a seasoned pipe smoker who left anything in the bowl other than ash.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
In my experience, some cigars are worthy of smoking to the last bit, and others not. I appreciate your frugality in wanting maximum value from your cigar. To be, a better way to enjoy a cigar in a pipe would be to dedicate one pipe specifically to cigars and then cut a cigar into small billets that fit into that pipe. It would look "pipe normal" and you wouldn't be getting the bitterness from the smoked end.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I thought you might enjoy this. It's a copy/paste of a copy/paste from an old string.
Memorable Pipe Smokers
Good afternoon fellas,

One of our newest members Patriotfirst got me to thinking back to my early days of pipe smoking and my curiosity about my new passion, way back when.

I was a go-fer at Woodlawn Hardware Store, it was run by Mr. Fred, and Miss Mae. I made $1 an hour, 19 hours a week. (Old math: $1 x 19 = 2 movie tickets, 2 Sodas, 1 Medium Pizza "all the way", Dad put gas in the car.)(Edit: The rest was up to me.) :D

It was a dusty relic of the old style Mom and Pop Hardware stores where you could find things that you couldn't find anywhere else. (after a bit of rummaging of course) (you know the type) Even the hours were antiquated. 6 to 6 Mon. - Sat. except Wednesdays when we closed at noon because of an old blue-law. (so people could go to church) Well there was an old WWI veteran that would come in to buy a couple of nails or screws or just to shoot the breeze. He smoked a pipe with a Rum Soaked Crook cigar in it. I always found this amusing, but practical. He told me he had been smoking that way since "Ma momma give me dis pipe fo my 6'd birt-day. Mah re-ward for bein' a good boy-n stayin' in school".

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I am primarily a pipe smoker, however, I enjoy the hell out of a Partagas Black Label oscuro stick. I always have a box on hand and I smoke about one cigar every two weeks. I also keep a small jar of cigar leaf that I grind from a butt in a coffee mill. Well, this morning I added the cigar flake to a bowl of C&D Billy Budd. I enjoyed one nirvana smoke. I've read all the previous posts on this thread and must tell all the naysayers to try what I've done and then report back. My equipment this morning was a large bowled Jobey Band straight billiard pipe and I can assure you that the Billy and the pipe never tasted better.

Status
Not open for further replies.